Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a fun one for you gents and gals today:

Build-to-order PC I've had for ~2 years (I usually build my own, but sourcing graphics cards was nigh impossible when I was in the market) will crash on certain events - screen goes black, fans rev to high, if on voice I can talk and hear for 5 seconds or so, and I'll be able to hear music until what's buffered into memory runs out. This typically happens when certain particle effects are involved - for example, certain areas in Destiny 2 will cause crash 100%, the gravity bomb explosion in Rocket League will do it ~80%, and running UserBenchmark will consistently crash at the exact same point. But, it can also happen without such uses - it's happened while leaving the system idle for several hours. And oddly, generic high loads for extended times typically aren't an issue (I can let it run [email protected] and it's usually fine).

Now, why am I in the mobo/cpu forum? In trying to troubleshoot this issue, I noticed that my mobo is on version 6001, yet the most current is 7803. Tried updating from within UEFI using the from-the-internet installer, from the UEFI using a hard drive (rust and m.2), and from the Asus' Windows-based AI 3 utility (cleared CMOS between attempts just for good measure, but never had any issue with non-booting even after hard resetting after each attempt). In every instance, as soon as the files are loaded, the system freezes and stops responding to inputs (though no black screen). I haven't tried using a flash drive yet (they're in a box somewhere, I recently moved), but I'm not hopeful given how poorly the other methods have gone.

Should I try and find my bin of flash drives and try updating from that? Should I try installing a less-recent version of the BIOS firmware? Should I be looking at another part failure entirely (maybe cpu or gfx)? I'm just so confused, because I personally can't see how the crashes and the BIOS refusing to accept an update might be related.
And maybe they're not - maybe I'm just having two totally different issues. But I'm not a big believer in such coincidences, hence my belief that there's something tying these together. Gut says bad mobo, cpu, or gfx, but I'm far from an expert in this arena.

Other stuff I've checked: power cables and components are properly seated; temps are fine; all software and drivers are updated (did DDU and fresh install of graphics drivers); dskchk came back clean; I'm mildly overclocked, but have tried base clocks and underclocks to no avail.

Things I haven't checked: haven't swapped any parts (as I don't have any donor hardware to do such testing); haven't played with memory or run memtest86 (but this doesn't seem memory related), haven't fresh installed Windows yet; haven't dug around in event viewer because that's not something I have any experience in. Probably more I'm not thinking of - hence why I'm here seeking your input.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,496 Posts
I'd get out the USB stick. Make sure it's not partitioned.

Reactions: Soleniae

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good news: able to update mobo to current (7803) version. Have struck that information from the initial post. (thanks for the nudge Corday)

Bad news: still getting the super weird stall/crash on those particle effects.

Should I leave this post here (possibly still mobo or cpu related)? Or should I go create post in the gfx forum instead?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,496 Posts
Leave here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts