Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets say I type www.google.com in Internet Explorer 6....about 50% of the time on my computer it will immediately throw up the "Cannot be displayed" page without even trying to load it. After about 10 refreshes and going back and forward I can finally get it to load. I would put this under Internet Explorer but it happens with Firefox and AIM too (it just immediately says it cannot connect so that I have to try to sign on about 5 times before it actually does). It has continued to do this through a hard drive format and happens on every computer in my network....leaving me to believe its the wireless router. It's a Microsoft wireless B router. I have also thought its something bigger since the same type thing happens at my school (ISP issue maybe?, this has been going on for months if not a year). It does this all the time and its quite ridiculous. Could it be my cable modem (its a generic no-name that Charter gave me) or could it be the router? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It could be a lot of things. I'd start by connecting directly to the cable modem and seeing if that works 100%. If so, then it's probably the wireless link. You didn't mention what signal strength you get on the wireless link, maybe you're just getting a weak signal. Perhaps there's something like a wireless phone or microwave oven interfering with the 802.11b transmission.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I would try what JohnWill suggested first.

You may also have issues with DNS and or network latency.

Start, Run, type "cmd", type "ping www.google.com -t" then hit enter (leave out the " ") and see what your response times are and it you are having any time outs. Let this extended ping run for a few minutes, your response times should be consistant and in the range of 20-40 ms I would assume?

You might also try at least 1 alternate DSN server to see if this helps your situation.

JamesO

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Here's a list of public DNS servers I've used in the past. I think you'll have trouble find the DSN server that James refers to. :grin:

199.166.24.253 (PS0.NS1.VRX.NET) - Toronto, ON, Canada
199.166.27.253 (PS0.NS3.VRX.NET) - Richmond Hill, ON, Canada
199.166.28.10 (PS0.NS2.VRX.NET) - Apopka, Fl
199.166.29.3 (NL.PUBLIC.BASESERVERS.NET) - Nederlands
199.166.31.3 (NS1.QUASAR.NET) - Orlando, FL, USA
195.117.6.25 (ZOLIBORZ.ELEKTRON.PL) - Poland
38.113.2.100 (NS1.JERKY.NET) - Boston, MA, USA
213.196.2.97 (PAN.BIJT.NET) - The Netherlands
199.166.28.10 (PS0.NS2.VRX.NET) - Atlanta, Ga
199.5.157.128 (ASLAN.OPEN-RSC.ORG) - Detroit, MI, USA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for not being more specific about my connection....
I am not wirelessly connected, I am connected to my router which is connected to my cable modem all with ethernet. I was just stating that it happens to every computer on the network when it happens to me....and that those computers are connecting wirelessly.

I did the pinging and its consistent around 25 ms every time when pinging google. Then again it seems to get worse around certain times of the day?

I will try out the dns servers and connecting the cable modem directly when it starts happening again.......its loading and connecting fine right now.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I suspect you have a problem for the ISP. I'd check out www.dslreports.com and register there. You can then run their packet loss tests and see if you have a problem somewhere on the ISP's network. I used this test to nail Comcast down last year. When the tech came out, he quickly figured out I knew a lot more about his network than he did, and kicked the problem up the ladder. :smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have moved the ethernet cables around so that now the router is out of the equation and im just directly connected to the cable modem. So far so good.....no connection problems yet. Seems like a weird thing for a router to do. Anyways thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.