Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've been having a connection issue with my computer. I connect to the internet on a 56k modem, not sure of model but I know it's a ESS, I connect using AOL, and I notice that I connect at like 16000bps up to 24000bps sometimes. I've went into the control panel then clicked on on internet options went to the connection tab and the weird thing is, it doesn't show any connections at all and when I try to add a connection I get to one of the screens and click next and it won't let me add any connection. I find it really weird that it doesn't bring up my aol connection at all and I still am able to connect to the internet. Another possible reason I was thinking I get a bad connection is because of the house that we just recently moved into. I know I should be connecting at, at least 44000bps or something around there but I'm connecting at half that sometimes even less. I did get a new video card and I know there is a updated driver online that I could download, but alot of the times when I goto download the driver from the main site it keeps saying there was a error download it, something about the engine32.cab. I know this is alot to write but if someone could possibly help me with my problem I would appreciate it, I have already visited the hijack this forum and ran and cleaned up my computer alot hoping it would improve my connection, which it did alittle but just not back to the connection I used to that. Thanks for your time :)

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
in the run box type
sfc /scannow
and press enter
then try adding the new connection again,the speed problem could be at your isp's end

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried what you said but I still get the problem of it getting to the screen to add a connection and when I click next it won't go anywhere....weird thing is I must have a connection because I'm on the internet. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
First I am going to focus on your connection speed, rather than your missing connection to see if we can get you a better dial up link.

You indicated you recently moved. This may be one of the main reasons your dial up link is not performing as well as you expect.

There are some things you can control that may help your dial up speed:
Look at the local dialing list and try different dial up numbers and see if performance is better with certian phone numbers. Try closer citys or major citys. You should see a connection speed difference with some numbers. Some may be better, some may be worse. If you find a number that gives better dial up performance, make it your default dial up number.

If you think the house phone wiring may be an issue, try getting a long CAT3/CAT5 (twisted pair) jumper and connecting it directly from the phone interface box to the PC. See if this helps your connection speeds. One thing I would recommend is install a new permanent twisted pair drop for the dial up machine anyway if you plan on staying with dial up. If you install a new drop, use CAT5 as this can always be converted to a LAN connection if needed!

Things you cannot control are:

Your dial in host location may share a lot of connections and they sometimes intentionally reduce connections speeds to share more users. Thats one reason to try different dial in numbers.

Distance you are located from the local telephone central office, puts a lot more wiring and connections between your house and the telephone switching center. More potential for degraded dial up service.

Telephone line conditioning and equalization. This is something most telephone company's can check and change remotely from a computer terminal. You will need to call the telephone company have this checked. Do not tell them you are having dial up modem speed issues as they do not guarantee dial up speed connections. Tell them you just moved in and you seem to get a lot of echo and cross talk at times and you would like them to verify the line conditioning. Again, this is something they can do without a dispatch or service charge in most cases. If you get the correct person who knows what they are doing, they will have you hang up the phone, tell you not to use if while they test the line and they will call you back in about 5 minutes with some feedback about the line conditioning.

You also mentioned you just moved, you may want to investigate other internet connection options, assuming your budget and need can support it, like DSL, Cable modem, Verizon FIOS service.

Good luck and report back.

JamesO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.