Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

connection loss to the internet every few hours on multiple networks and machines

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Wand3r3r 
#1 ·
i'll start with the info everyone expects me to give:

my ISP is Telenet (Flemish ISP), my product is http://telenet.be/2985/0/1/nl/thuis/internet/internet-thuis/fibernet.html (fibernet) which seems to be cable. my ISP provided a router with built-in modem and a separate network, of an unknown brand and type. i'm running Norton internet security 2012 and norton utilities 15, UAC on highest setting. i have no separate firewall, as there is one in norton. i've put my Xirrus screenshot in attachment, as well as the ipconfig output (which is unfortunately in Dutch).

now, as to my setup: at home, i have my ISP router and a separate router, connected by a cable. i have no idea which kind of cable. my ISP router has a 2.4 Ghz network labeled "telenet kerkhofs". the other router has a 2.4 Ghz network labeled "kerkhofs" and a 5 Ghz network called "kerkhofs_5ghz". the router is a D-link Dir-655. there are no computers cable connected to either router, but we have a network printer on there.

we also have 3 computers and a macbook (i think a macbook Air), as well as a Philips soundbar that also has network access. 1 of the computers is connected to the 5 Ghz network, but is rarely used. the soundbar is connected to the 5 Ghz network as well. the other 2 computers are composed the same, and have a Linksys AE1000 to connect with all 3 networks. there's about 1 floor vertically and 10 meter horizontally distance between the computers and the router. both computers are in adjacent rooms. my computer can connect to all 3 networks, the other computer can only connect to kerkhofs.

the issue is that from time to time, when i'm connected to kerkhofs or to "telenet kerkhofs", i retain connection to the router, but i lose connection to the internet. when this happens, any still running internet streams stop running, i cannot load any more webpages, any youtube vids stop buffering, and any games i'm playing that rely on internet access gain lag, until they eventually disconnect from the server. the loss of internet lasts about 2-3 minutes, after which it works again. the other computer has similar issues, as does the macbook. i haven't connected long enough to kerkhofs_5ghz to notice anything happening there as well.

i have yet to discern a pattern from the failures. sometimes they happen in the middle of the day, sometimes at 5 PM, sometimes at 9 PM, and some days not at all, and some days multiple times a day. i have no idea what causes these problems.

i cannot connect my computer directly (i.e. no modem or router in between), because it's literally on the other side of the house and i cannot reach that far with any cable.

i'm at a loss here. i'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to assist me with this.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The problem is you have two dhcp servers conflicting with eachother. Routers by default have thier DHCP service turned on. You can either turn off the dhcp on the ISP router or the one on the d-link. Understand that which ever one you choose, you'll lose the network features of that router, such as access restrictions, QoS, and such.

The d-link has a a couple nice features on it, I would keep it's dhcp server turned on. But it might take a little longer to configure it.

It's up to you.

#3 ·
unfortunately, reconfiguring the ISP router is not really an option. the problem is that A) we can't connect to the interface of that router, B) it's an unknown brand and type which would make navigating once connected hard, and C) we rent the router from the ISP, so i'm not sure we're allowed to change settings on the thing.

as an alternative, since DHCP is only for dynamic IP addressing, would changing the network IP addressing system to static solve the issue?

#6 ·
I don't think you get the first point. i've tried connecting to the ISP router by entering the IP address. i've tried it just now. i checked the wireless settings, tried to connect to the default gateway (192.168.0.1) via firefox, which should connect me to the router, and i get an error message "cannot connect to the router". I cannot disable any settings on the ISP router, and frankly, i don't see the need to.

also, that guide Old Rich provided won't do any good, because our other router is a dual band router of which both bandwidths are in use (2.4 and 5 Ghz). for some reason we can't make these the same network.

#7 · (Edited)
"when i'm connected to kerkhofs or to "telenet kerkhofs", i retain connection to the router, but i lose connection to the internet."

and

"the loss of internet lasts about 2-3 minutes, after which it works again"

Not an example of two dhcp servers causing a ip conflict. This has nothing to do with ip addressing or dhcp
There is nothing wrong with your lan setup assuming you cabled from "telenet kerkhofs" router lan port to "kerkhofs_5ghz/2.3ghz" wan port

Since you are connected to the main router it is what is going out and causing the problem with the rest.

Before you call your ISP I would suggest you connected wired to the "telenet kerkhofs" router. See if when the other devices lose internet if you still have it. This will differenciate between the wifi signal and general router functions.

If you lose internet when wired call your isp and complain. They should do a line test and review the router/modem logs which will clearly state the outage. They will fix/replace what is appropriate.

"that guide Old Rich provided won't do any good, because our other router is a dual band router of which both bandwidths are in use (2.4 and 5 Ghz). for some reason we can't make these the same network."

Sorry but you misunderstand the propose of the guide. The whole point of the guide is that you can still use the wifi capablity of the router. You would still have those two wifi accesses. Only difference by being connected by the lan port instead of the wan port is everyone is in the same subnet and can share. Presently those devices connected to 2.4/5ghz can access what is connected to the first router but not visa versa. This is because dhcp flows from the first router to the second router via its lan port to what is connected to the 2nd by wifi. The 2nd router is configured to not supply dhcp ip.

If its just the wifi that is the problem we will need a better screen shot of the xirrus inspector. I can't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.