Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have scoured the internet and have created multiple tickets to these big companies that always give me the same advice, that never works. I'm kind of in a last-ditch effort to get this fixed, and I really hope I am in the right place for this, if not, please correct me.

I play Video Games but at a pretty big disadvantage, my wifi ever since moving down to this room has never been good, and since then I have been trying to fix it, this is no common issue (I think), if so I would have figured it out by now if you would please just read this and see if you have any solutions, it would mean a lot to me.

Basically, I run on Windows 10, I have great internet speed (so the tests say), but I live in a 3 story townhouse, and the main router is at the top, no problem tho right? My house runs on 2 wifi extenders, one on the 2nd floor, and one on the first, in my room, which is the one I have connected my ethernet cord to. I'm not sure if this is relevant to the problem, but let me know any question that I didn't answer, anyways;

My connection to games and latency inside of them has always been delayed (could be a location issue?) On games such as "VALORANT", my ping is constantly spiking leaving the game unplayable or at a severe disadvantage, but this isn't the only game. On some games, I'm receiving the same spiking lag issue, where my ping is abnormally weird compared to anyone else I'm playing against, it spikes from normal range (60-70) to chaotic (250) and the constant spiking leaves teleports, same in VALORANT.

Let me know any questions, or solutions, restarting my wifi doesn't even fix the issue temporarily. I game competitively, and this isn't helping. Thank you in advance.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,433 Posts
You could try a mesh system but the structure of your building might only be overcome with a hardwired Ethernet set up.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,298 Posts
I live in a 3 story townhouse, and the main router is at the top, no problem tho right? My house runs on 2 wifi extenders, one on the 2nd floor
I don't even need to read any more... You have a poor wireless setup which results in poor performance to your PC. Move the router to the 2nd floor, run an ethernet cable to your computer or get a good mesh system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only concern was when I first did move, it was working perfectly fine. Not sure what changed. The problem with running an ethernet cord down is that it isn't my building obviously, can't just put holes in the wall.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,298 Posts
Are you saying that when you moved to the first floor while your router was on the 3rd floor, you had strong wifi? There are dozens of factors that can contribute to poor wifi connections, but an endpoint on a first floor and the router on the 3rd floor is a big one. Wifi extenders slow down your throughput because they essentially have to repeat all your network traffic twice and people rarely understand how they really work. You could try rearranging your devices for best signals and scan for dead spots with a program like Xirrus, but your still limited based on your setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It also seems like whenever I use a VPN, the problem seems to fix/get better, any comment on this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts