Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been struggling with this problem for almost a month now, was too lazy to do anything about it until now. I could just play around it, but now it's getting on my nerves so I hope you can help me with this...

Information:
VIA Motherboard with a built in Ethernet Card (VIA Rhine 2, I think)
Comcast Cable ISP
Linksys Wireless Router / 3 computers on the network - 2 connected to the router by CAT5 cable, 1 Wireless connection

My System:
2.8Ghz pentium 4 processor
Windows XP Pro
1GB RAM

The Problems: First off, I'm a gamer and my biggest problem is with Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. When I play on battle.net, I can stay connected for a couple minutes then anyone in one of my games will see a "So-and-So has exited battle.net" At which point I can't access any battle.net features like private messaging, friends list, etc, but I am still connected to the server, can continue playing and my charecter still updates...the annoying part is after I leave a game I have to log back into battle.net everytime

Problem #2 I get Frequent disconnections from Ventrilo, a Voice over IP software, I'm sure most of you are familiar with it. Same thing, It'll work for a very short ammount of time, then all of a sudden I'll get silence. When I press my Push-to-talk key during that silence it'll play the disconnect sound file, reconnect, and it'll work another few minutes. Problem repeats itself indefintely.

Problem #3 During short downloads, like of small video or audio clips, game patches, etc, the download will freeze. I'll watch it for a few minutes, if it doesn't move, I'll cancel and restart the download, it'll pick up where it left off (Thank god) but still annoying.

Temporary Solution: I've noticed if I run a Power Cycle of my Network devices (Turn the Computer off, router, modem, then plug the modem back in, the router, then turn the computer back on) the problem with battle.net will go away for a few hours or until I log off my account.

Things I've tried: I ran a trace route to the USEast server on battle.net (The server I play on exclusively) and my first Hop ALWAYS times out, a few go through, I'll get about 4 more Request timed out errors before it finally reaches the server. I'm thinking, not really sure, but is the first hop the packet that goes from the computer to the router?

I've contacted my ISP and had them test my modem for packet loss, they've said it is working fine.

I can almost narrow the problem to my computer or my router, but I'm lost as far as a next step goes... could my router be configured wrong? I'll post the exact results from my trace route when I get home tonight.

Help me beat this people, I'd be extremely grateful.

~JD

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
try hooking the computer directly to the modem without the router. If the problem goes away, replace the router unless it is under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far So good. I have my Computer plugged directly to the modem and Diablo 2 is running like a dream. I'll play like this for another day to make sure all is well and then I'll officially call my Router junk. Thank you SO much man, and I'm kicking myself for not trying that sooner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.