Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to connect my XBOX to an XP machine using a wireless connection. I already have a wireless adapter for the XBOX and I thought I could add a wireless router to the XP machine to broadcast directly to the XBOX.

I don't need to connect the wireless router to the internet because I only need to communicate between the XBOX and the XP machine. But if there is a way to configure the new router so it has access to the internet and the XBOX can see the internet through this router, any help would be appreciated. Is the wireless router the way to go or is there another solution?

I have an 802.11b WAP that I connect the XP machine to for the internet but I need a faster connection to the XBOX because I am streaming live TV from the XP machine.

I bought a D-Link DI-624 Extreme-G wireless router which I installed to the XP machine. The problem I am having now is the wired connecttion to the router overrides my original wireless connection. As soon as I enable the LAN connection my wireless connection is no longer useable and my internet connection goes down. I turned off the D-Link's DHCP server but that did not change anything other than forcing me to provide a static address for the wired connection.

My original WAP has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP server assigns IP adresses in the range 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.199. Currently I can see all the shared resources on any of the machines from XBOX Media Center and I can connect to the internet. To use the new D-Link router I'm assuming I have to connect the XBOX to the new SSID which was defined when the D-Link router is configured.

Any suggestion on what I need to do to configure this new router correctly? Is there a way to specify which connection to use for the internet connection?

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Do a Google search on xbox wireless internet and you'll be presented with a number of choices. If you have an XBOX compatible wireless adapter, a wireless router should allow you to connect.

Perhaps I don't understand what the issues are, I don't use XBOX...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I configured the new wireless router with an IP address on the same subnet as my existing LAN but outside the DHCP range of the wired router. I also disabled the DHCP server on the wireless router. I then manually assigned the IP address of the LAN connection and the XBOX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.