Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new laptop and desktop have integrated wireless cards. I have my other computer (2yrs old) will have a wireless adapter. I want to put my desktop in a room without a phone cord, does the wireless router and DSL "have" to be hooked to a computer? If not how do I hook it up to work without being attached to a computer?:wave:

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
no you do not have to hook your modem/wireless router to a computer. You setup a desktop the same way you would a laptop. Just need a wireless card.

That said, IMO, its always best to have at least one computer hooked up via wire. It makes it easier and faster to download stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The instructions with the router say to hook to back of computer. So if I decide to not have at least one wired where does the plug that goes from the router to the computer go?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
The instructions with the router say to hook to back of computer. So if I decide to not have at least one wired where does the plug that goes from the router to the computer go?
if you are not going to plug in a computer, its not needed. Ignore it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You are getting bad advice here.

You should connect with a cable for the initial configuration of the router, then you can run all the machines wirelessly. How can you configure the wireless connectivity while you're connected wirelessly, think about it?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
You are getting bad advice here.

You should connect with a cable for the initial configuration of the router, then you can run all the machines wirelessly. How can you configure the wireless connectivity while you're connected wirelessly, think about it?
Maybe I misunderstood but the way I read it, the router was already setup for the two new computers and this person is wanting to add the old desktop. If this is the case, it is not bad advise. If this is not the case, then I should have asked for clarification.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think maybe I misread this one, if it's just configuring an additional wireless machine with no changes to the router, you'd be correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am very green when it comes to this stuff. I use a computer all day but setting up is not my strong point. I thank you for the correct advice. I have my router already set up hooked to my DSL but it's currently hooked to my desktop that doesn't have a card. My question is, if I get a wireless card for the original desktop, Dell Dimension 3000 (2yrs old) and my other desktop (is already wireless Dell 530, brand new) and my Dell 1520 Inspiron wireless Laptop (brand new) what do I do with the cable that's hooked to the current desktop and the new router. Is that just because it's there and it's currently not wireless. So once I get a wireless adapter/card for the old computer I can just disconnect that one cable? I am so sorry to be so needy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I just read the other message. Pretty much the only reason that one cable is hooked to the computer is because it's currently not setup for wireless. Once I get the adapter/card then I can just take it off. I appreciate it both comments and everyone's help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.