Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was possible to connnect a mini tower to a laptop, to add another hardrive and more memory to make the laptop run faster. if i stuck a game in the tower would it use the memory from the tower, the memory from the laptop or both. As soon as some1 posts a reply to my questions, i will ask others. So if u post plz look back for more questions to answer

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

umm:confused: Do you mean you want to map the towers hard drive space to your laptop? You could do that, but you cannot share physical memory between two systems. The only addressable memory in each system will come from Virtual memory in Windows and Physically installed memory on the motherboard. You cannot use 128 of one system plus your 128 on your laptop to give you 256 on your laptop if thats what you mean. The same goes for processor speeds and video memory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to connect a tower to the laptop as sort of a way of upgrading it. for example i might put a cd burner in it, since the laptop doesnt have one. Forget about the memory thing. How about the harddrive?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Huh???

A hard drive from a laptop and (with an adapter) put into a desktop....but I dont see how you can combine the resouces of a desktop and a laptop....there are switches that allow for the keyboard to be used for either or...as well as the monitor but...

I dont belive you can have a PII 200 laptop and put it with a PII 200 desktop ang get a PIV 400.....system

p.s welcome to the board....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ppl plz ignore the memory. im not connecting to a desktop, just a tower. i want the laptop to have another harddrive and a cd burner. What do i need to do this beside the tower and the laptop?

Thx for the help so far though

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
OH....you want to network them so they can share resouces....Ill give the quick answer then the other can expand on it (they do it alot better)

Network interface cards -1 for each computer
cables to connect to something else....like
a hub/switch/router to share the connections and internet access

you also can do direct serial prot to serial port but i have never done it that way...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:) Yep thats what I meant by mapping the drive from one system to another, through the network that doonze was nice enough to lay out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if i network them they can share resources? What about sharing video and sound cards. Oh and i want to play videos from my laptop to my tv. i dont have a video out thingy on the laptop, but what if there was one on the tower. i have a dvd drive on the lap, can i play movies on my lap then have them show on my bigscreen?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Oh, yes! yes! yes! For a price..........

2 cards and a hub. About 100.00 total to go cheap (the card for the laptop will cost the most)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can't he use two network cards ($10 each on sale) with a crossover cable? Saves the price of the hub or switch.
No. He can use one card for the tower @ 10.00. The laptop requires a different kind of card (PCMCIA) at about 45.00 last time I bought one. The hub is a necessity, you cannot plug cat5 rj45 cables from computer to computer. You might be thinking of the older ethernet coax with bnc connectors (still available) but runs 10 times slower. Direct cable connections are slower yet.

compiled-

Card for tower- an optomistic 10.00
card for laptop- 45.00
Hub for a 5 computer net max 42.00 (bought one last week)

Ok, so it wasn't quite 100.00 but I was close.

Unlimited sharing of drives and internet. Priceless.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Jam, I have run SEVERAL 2 computer nets connected with just a crossover cable. Just make sure that you use the "allowed" IP's that will not show up on the internet(192.168.0.0 thru 192.168.255.255). This way if you ever do go online with them, there will be no IP conflicts with your ISP.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Nope, never, I didn't know it could be done, and haven't every tried to do it. Always needed to connect more than 2 machines anyway, and if it could be done we have to be talking about loss of performance or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Crossover

Never done a crossover connection? The things are lifesaves. I actually keep a crossover cable in my backpack for quick school connections and such. The iBRICK sometimes needs a good sync.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definition of iBRICK:

A Compaq iPAQ with an expansion pack. If you have ever seen one, it essentially looks like an expensive black brick. It just isnt as durable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.