Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the last couple weeks I've been having a problem getting on the internet. MSN Messenger works fine and it downloads at a decent speed...when it works. The problem is that Internet Explorer or Firefox will only connect about half the time. Most of the time I get a little black clock in the bottom left hand corner and nothing else happens, not even an "internet explorer cannot display this page" message. After closing the page and trying again, sometimes up to 15 times, it will eventually work but is often slow when going from one page to another, and then eventually stops again. Other times it works great. When this happens restarting sometimes helps but not always. I'm running XP Home SP3.
So far I've tried a different network card, replaced the network cable, formatted the computer, reset the modem/ router, tried a different harddrive with a fresh install of Windows, all to no avail. I called our internet provider and they said everything checks out ok on their end. I've ran AVG, Spybot and Hijackthis and they show no problems. I'm stumped.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
Hi Getavw, Have you tried pinging a website such as google, to see if any data is actually getting through, let alone being displayed?

To ping a website
Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command prompt > enter "ping" followed by the URL (e.g. ping www.google.com) then hit enter.

Once it's tried it will report back the time taken for each of it's 3 attempts to be sent as well as return to your computer. It will also report the percentage loss if any packets of data do not return. Repost with the results and we can go from there

Regards
TheAtheist

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to try at least a dozen times to connect to post the results and here's what it says:
Pinging www.1.google.com [64.233.169.103] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.169.103: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 64.233.169.103:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 50ms

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem. It just started yesterday. I didn't load anything new and system restore doesn't show any changes for the past month. I've scanned with everything I can find, checked my firewall, disabled the firewall and still get the same result. I can ping any site just fine.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
I had to try at least a dozen times to connect to post the results and here's what it says:
Pinging www.1.google.com [64.233.169.103] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 64.233.169.103:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 50ms
Those seem alright, especially with 0% loss on all packets. What setup have you got? Are you behind a router - is it wireless or using a fixed line.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was getting to the point that I was rarely able to get onto any websites so I formatted it again. It worked great for almost 24 hours and then started acting up again, coincidentally after installing java and a couple windows updates (KB976662 and KB971961). I also tried a different modem/router but it made no difference.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try removing the router temporarily. I was having similar problems a couple years ago. I removed the router and was amazed (I'll never buy another NetGear router again).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
have to second Lydokane's input....I have not had good luck with Netgear routers.... also make sure your device driver for the network adapter is correct and the latests version.

forgot to ask,,,,do you get the same intermittent performance with this PC hooked up directly to the modem as someone recommended you do?? that will help you determine if its a router problem or your network adapter is not performing right!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
do you have another computer to check the modem router out with like a laptop you can connect with an ethernet line and see if you get the same intermittent internet access? that can help you determine if the modem router is bad,,,,which DSL service on you with ATT DSL??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just tried my spare computer on it and it's giving me the same problem so now I'm trying this one with the wireless connection to see what happens.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
Let us know the results of the wireless connection test - do a ping test on that connection as well and post it here.

What might be an idea, although you may have already tried it, is to go into IE settings and on the advanced tab select the "Reset Button" to reset all the IE settings to factory default in case anything has gone awry along the line.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's no better with the wireless. I think I'll call my ISP and get them to send out a new modem.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
If they are going to charge, it may be worth first checking my suggestion above about the settings in IE, unless you are OK with the cost they put forward for a new modem!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had already reset Internet Explorer a couple times and it made no difference and the replacement modem is free so it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I solved my issue with this. It was AVG 9.0 that was causing the problem. I had the problem start on a second machine when I updated to 9.0, so I researched and found that it's been an ongoing issue since last year. I removed AVG 9.0 (added other A/V S/W) and immediately the problem went away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I solved my issue with this. It was AVG 9.0 that was causing the problem. I had the problem start on a second machine when I updated to 9.0, so I researched and found that it's been an ongoing issue since last year. I removed AVG 9.0 (added other A/V S/W) and immediately the problem went away.
I believe you have it. I got rid of AVG and installed Avast and have had no problems so far. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.