Tech Support banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been having problems with my internet for the past few months, and nothing I do can fix it.

Basically, my internet won't work unless I have BOTH wifi and ethernet connected. (I didn't even know this was possible)

Every morning upon turning on my computer it automatically connects to ethernet, (and says it's totally good) but I don't get any website results unless I also connect to wifi. Opening google gives me a "DNS server not found" but I don't think it's a DNS issue.

Once it gets going (after fiddling with connecting and disconnecting to wifi) I can tell it's using ethernet because my speed is very good (1000mbps, what I usually get on ethernet, when wifi usually gets me 300). Once it's good, it will stay for a long time, 6+ hours, but doing certain things like joining a voice call (on discord) will kill it again :(

When I'm in this dual state, disconnecting EITHER wifi or ethernet will kill the internet.

I'm using an ethernet wire directly from my Verizon router. I have tried multiple wires and multiple routers(all confirmed working).

I am running a Windows PC with a

• ASUS Dual-Band 802.11AC Wireless-AC2100 PCI-e Bluetooth 5 Gigabit WiFi Adapter, 160MHz Support (PCE-AC58BT) (for wifi)
  • ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard (for ethernet)

Also, I don't believe this is a software issue. I have fully reinstalled windows, updated both network drivers (well they were already up to date). I've run Network reset multiple times, and refreshed settings on the router. Nothing seems to fix it. My end goal is to have ethernet working consistently on its own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For anyone joining in on this thread, These fixes did not fix my internet :p I still do not have a resolution.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,212 Posts
Did this just start on a computer you were already using or from the get-go on a new unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did this just start on a computer you were already using or from the get-go on a new unit?
I have been using this computer for years, it was fine up until 3 months ago. No hardware changes from when it worked before.

It did stop working the day after i finished my IT job (and returned the laptop), but the laptop was never connected to Ethernet or my main computer. And the other devices on the network work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use the Network Troubleshooter or try a Network Reset How to Reset Network Settings in Windows 10
When i do network troubleshooter it usually tells me to do a network reset. When the computer turns back on, it will automatically connect to Ethernet, but will not have internet.
If i then play around with connecting to wifi (on top of Ethernet) after a few tries it will work fine.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,212 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and say you connected to an Intranet via Ethernet and changed some setting. I would go back to router/modem and re-establish the network.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts