Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently at university and living in residence. The school provides network storage that can be accessed through their computers or through mapping the drives.

I have both a laptop that connects to the encrypted wireless network and a desktop that is plugged in to the ethernet port in my room. I am able to map the drives with my laptop but have NO idea how to do it with my desktop.

Both are running Vista SP2, the mapping procedure is exactly the same for both, but my desktop can't connect to either network drive. The laptop connects to the network (it has a specific name) but my desktop simply connects through Network 9.

I'm sure it has to do with the way the connections are routed -- the network map I can see from my computer is completely different from the one I can see on my laptop or on the school computers. I've tried connecting to the school's VPN to get around it and for whatever reason that doesn't work.

The school's tech support hasn't been a whole lot of help, and since I can't (or won't) bring my computer to them, they don't think they can do much.

Is there something really obvious that I'm missing? Any suggestions?

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
when you are on your laptop and connected to the server in question do a
nslookup thatservername

Note the ip address of the server

Go to your pc and do a tracert to that servers ip. When you fail call tech support and ask them why.

Anohter tact would be to do a ipconfig /all on each machine. Then post those for review.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Those ipconfigs show each device is doing
different subnets
different subnet masks
different dhcp servers
different dns servers.
different gateways.

With both connected to the network can you ping from one to another successfully?

Please do the nslookup test also. Thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't ping from one to another.

The nslookup test, for each of the 3 server addresses, the tracert said destination net unreachable, trace complete

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Please perform the nslookup test from the device that can connect.

Next test is do a tracert ipaddress between the two devices.
Save the output to a file.
Send the file to techsupport saying the two networks are not connected.
There is nothing wrong with your devices and there is nothing for them to "fix" with you bringing them in to them.

It appears they have the wireless network separate from the wired network.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.