Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just wondering if it could be overheating. Because, if it is, I might just add on an Arctic Cooling Silencer.

BTW, how do you update the BIOS for a video card?

And how do can you monitor the GPU temperature?

Also, is there a driver archive for older ATI drivers?

·
Registered
209 Posts
First off, temperature readings can be found with Everest Home Edition (google it)

Secondly with an x700 you want the lastest Ati Driver

you dont need a bios update for your video card

and finally the x700 cooler should be fine, if at its DEFAULT clock speed while under work its under 50C then its stable.

if the temps get over 50C post your idle temp and working temp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded Everest and my temperature after quitting UT2004 was 73'C.

However, UT2004 taxes the CPU more than the GPU. So, I'll have to download a video game demo that uses the GPU a lot more.

·
Registered
209 Posts
73C!
i hope you mean F, tho that would be really cool.
if its at 73C its probly overheating, underclocking would probly gain performance.
what people dont realize is that the hotter something is, the worse it will run, its a balance of clock speed and temp that get the best performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compumaniac12 said:
73C!
i hope you mean F, tho that would be really cool.
if its at 73C its probly overheating, underclocking would probly gain performance.
what people dont realize is that the hotter something is, the worse it will run, its a balance of clock speed and temp that get the best performance.
Yeah, well, right now I decided to install SMBus driver to see if it would make a difference. It's kind of hard to tell what's going on because I only get an error rarely. I'll also look at RAM timings since it seems to be wrong. RAM is 2.5-3-3-6 but in BIOS it says 2.5-3-3-8.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just had another "failed VGA test" message.

BTW, does anybody here know how to monitor nForce4 temperature? (I know it's not related.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just contacted Tigerdirect.ca and connect3D. I've had enough with this. They should give me ideas on how to fix the darn thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, I changed the video card order in BIOS to PCI-E instead of PCI and I installed the SMBus driver.
I also set the correct timings in BIOS for my RAM.

However, I almost freaked out today when I saw 75'C for my temperature. Hoof! That's kind of HOT!

I didn't get the error problem again. But, I'm patiently waiting to see if it does happen again. I'm going to check out my other settings in BIOS.

·
Registered
209 Posts
75C may be enough to damage it, cpus will shut the comptuer off at about 72, be carefull.
most cards claim to have a threshold up to 140-160C but by that time your computer might be on fire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check this out on PEG Link Mode:
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=248&var2=0

I have an Asus K8N4-E Deluxe and it has the PEG Link Mode in BIOS. Can you believe that freakin' thing overclocks your video card without telling you?

Anyway, I set it to disabled.

But, I don't know what PEG Root Control and PEG Buffer Length even mean! I did a search in Google with practically no results!

Let's hope having that on disabled solves the problem. Now, for the two other PEG modes, I don't know what to do. I'll leave them on auto until I get an answer from Asus. :4-dontkno

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.