Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I wonder if you can advise how I can detect if there are any software/hardware conflicts on my PC.

After I have booted up, all is well for about an hour until the mouse starts to get jerky and the sound stuttters. I have removed all spy/mal ware with adaware and ccleaner, ran a Kaspersky scan but cant find anything.

In device manager there are no yellow ! signs. I guess its a conflict, but dont know. My 3.0GhZ P4 prescott runs at around 58°C (everest) when usually it was much cooler. In admin tools > performance the graph plot of the processor is very spikey, even when its doing nothing. I can't find a event on task manager that reflects this processor usage.

Also from time to time my motherboards sound mangement program pops up out of nowhere as though I'd plugged a new jack into one of the speaker/heaphone ports....

Any help would be appreciated.

:4-dontkno

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Check drive transfer mode:

start>rite click my computer>properties>hardware tab>device manager>expand ide controller>rite click on primary ide channel>properties>advanced settings>

Transfer mode should be DMA if available
Current Mode should be dma not PIO

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, the setting are all as you staed above and there are no conflicts showing. Its strange as it does not seem to happen every time I boot up, if I run adaware I remove a couple of detections, reboot it works fine. If I reboot another time, this is when the system starts to play up. I'm starting to think its some malware hiding somewhere - maybe within RTHDCPL.EXE (realtech sound) which also controls my sound settings (i.e. the program that pops up). If so I cant seem to find it....

Any ideas?

The performance graph for my processor runs just like a heart monitor (i.e. spikes at around 35% at regular intevals) even when the system is doing nothing.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click the Processes tab and then click the CPU heading twice.

Which 3-4 processes are coming to the top with the most CPU usage?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The regularity of intervals might be due to taskmanager>view>update speed - may not be an accurate "real time" reading

Coincidentally, my CPU usage was remaining at 45 - 60 % while "processes" totals were only using 3-4 %. (system Idle process= 97%.)

This just started on my computer - thought it might be an MS update. Uninstalled IE 7 - everything is back to normal (cpu useage 3% process list 3%. (I don't use IE)

This may be unrelated to your issue - we have to support IE7 at work, one customer had an outlook issue (but not webmail), another had a webmail issue, another appeared to have router issues (couldn't access router setup). Even though all settings were correct, issues remained until IE7 was un-installed.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
That spot on with my experiences of IE7 too. Two more users here were experiencing weird behavior pointing in all directions and was finally resolved by reverting back to IE6.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I've tried the advice about cpu usage and tried to check the most processor hungry but cant seem to find the culprit. I've printed a list of all processes so I'll just go through and find out what each does and try to eliminate the problem.

Just as an aside I noticed that the problem started immediately after opening IE7. I've tried un and then re-installing IE7. Thought I'd got it but then the problem just happened again at random (though interesting about outlook as that was open at the time).

I will just have to log when the problem starts, strange as all is well today!

Cheers for the thoughts, though no further forward...

:upset:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi
You can try this and see if it makes anything better:

Disable unwanted startups

- Press: Winkey+R
- Paste: msconfig
- Press: Enter
- Click tab: Startups
- Keep: the AV and firewall entries enabled
- Disable: 100% unused or extra entries
- Unsure about the start up: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Then restart and see how that goes. If it was process, the problem will now disappear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.