Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I awoke early this morning to an audio message telling me "System failed PPN test!" and a message on the desktop saying my graphics card had been shut down because it was receiving insufficient power. So I bought a new supply (I'd been wary of the 13A rating on the 12V supply anyway).

Made a note of everything I disconnected from the old PSU, reconnected everything to the new unit, switched out the AC cord, turned it on, and nothing. My subwoofer thumped as it usually does when it starts booting, but no fans turned. The MB LED is on, everything is plugged in correctly (it can't be reversed anyway, they're all shaped such that plugging them in backwards would be impossible) so I don't think it's a short circuit.

The capacitors don't need to charge more than a few seconds, do they? I did have to split the 4-pin CPU power off from the 20-pin MB main supply, and had to use the extender they provided to make it reach, but that shouldn't make a difference.

The PSU is a 535W Enermax with good ratings all around on the rails, so it should be much more than I need for the system. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
and of course you installed the 4 pin molex on the mainboard if it had one originally?
recheck that extender cable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resolved. I had the 4-pin molex connected to the CPU power, because the actual CPU power was an 8-pin (for use in the case of dual processor MBs) and I needed to use the extender with that.

Point of interest, it was also a bad p/s to start with, because after an hour of use it shot sparks 3 feet across my living room. Took it back, they replaced it, and so far it works... but of course now I'm scared of my computer (it's been having lots of problems lately and I think I'm back luck) and I refuse to leave it on unattended. A man should not need to fear his machine...

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
qgroff said:
Point of interest, it was also a bad p/s to start with, because after an hour of use it shot sparks 3 feet across my living room. Took it back, they replaced it, and so far it works... but of course now I'm scared of my computer (it's been having lots of problems lately and I think I'm back luck) and I refuse to leave it on unattended. A man should not need to fear his machine...
What brand is this PSU?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enermax, 535W. It's a good supply, but every company's bound to have a few bad eggs slip through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.