Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people.

Recently I bought a new chip of DDR RAM to install to my MB. When I tried inserting it just yesterday, I didnt do it properly (the two little safety things on the side didnt tick meaning the RAM wasnt placed firmly). First time, I turned the PC on for about 3 seconds and it started beeping to alert me that something is wrong, then I turned it off right away so the whole process took 5 seconds.

I thought I placed the RAM in the wrong side, so I flipped it from right to left (which was WRONG) and put it in there, this time I turned it on for the same amount of time (3 secs) and it started beeping so I'd turn it off in the next 2 seconds. This time I smelled a scent that comes out from burning materials... I touched the RAM it was a little warm (and I say warm because I mean WARM not HOT). Now when I turn on the PC it wouldnt turn on.

I'm assuming the motherboard is damaged (I doubt the power supply has anything to do with it but I could be wrong). Please help, I'd appreciate all your suggestions. I talked to a friend of mine and he suggested that I reset the BIOS first and see if that's what's causing it. What should I do?

PS. The RAM is compatible with my MB. Compatibility wasnt an issue.

-rocky

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I believe that mobo is in heaven / sorry

in the future you will notice the notch on the ram stick is off center / align the notch on the ram with the ram slot / the ram slot also has a molded "bump" to accept the notch on the ram stick

it takes a "fair" amount of pressure to engage the ram hold down locks but they will make a audible click when installed correctly until that they get "no" power

goodluck

joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe, but do you think there is another possibility? Or is this the only possible thing causing this?

And assuming the MB is permanently damaged, does the same go to the RAM chip or should it be ok?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

The most likely scenario is that your unit has gone bye...bye as linderman mentioned! However, try the unit with only your original stick of ram and if it starts up, then you might be in business. I would not hold out a lot of hope with that, but worth a try.....and, clearing CMOS as your friend mentioned would not harm it, but I doubt if it will help it either. What can you lose by experimenting. My best guess is that your ram that you put in backwards will probably need a grave also....most likely gone. I just hope it didn't also fry your old ram.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i am sorry to hear about your loss :'( what mobo was it? using PC componants you should not hesitate to apply pressure, well as long as the pressure u apply is the equivlant to smashing the peice with a iron sledge hammer lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
oops i said
the same pressure as hittin the componant with a iron sledge hammer,

well u should no i meant 'not the pressure of a iron sledge'

i apologize if ne computer parts were damaged on account of my post -razz:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, it's not time to crush it yet. The mobo is a GIGABYTE 8SIMLH (old crap).

It turned out the power supply was the problem (thankfully). The thing is the power supply is working (because we took it out and checked the flow of electricity in it) but apparently the problem is from some wires attached to the p.supply or something. Anyways changed the power supply and now its working.

Thats just the short story but if anyone is interested in details on how we got it working PM me.

Thanks anyways guys.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Aww, ok well done, but u no the smashing part would be most fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.