Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently installed a new DVD-RW drive in my pc, which went well, until i tried to use the drive to run the software disc.
The drive had played a dvd ok, while i was testing if it worked, and initially the software disc worked also, i left the room, and when i returned 2 minutes later, the computer was off and won't turn back on.

Note- the inside of the pc has lights on, from the tv card, which makes me think that its not the power supply, however nothing else turns on.

I would appreitiate any help on the matter,

ps. i am in the process of buying a new psu to try and see whether that will fixd it, is there any reason i shouldn't use it, like will it blow that one as well???

Thanks for your help, Jwils

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
it sounds like the power supply,if it goes fans ect. can still operate as they do not pull much power
before you buy check your requirements here
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
based on a quality supply and add 30% to the result
and then get as large a supply you can afford above what is required to allow for future upgrades
you get what you pay for,generic supplies are cheap and nasty always go for quality
antec
enamax
you have a fair idea of quality by the price

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ..... but

Thanks for your help on the PSU matter, got myself a new 400w PSU and quieter and works with the DVD-RW drive.
Cleaned out my CPU fan while i was in there, it gives a lot better flow now.

However I am having trouble burning DVD's. I burned a CD in 10 mins (4x RW), and its good on all drives, However i've made two coasters beacause the DVD's won't burn, it fails at start up and then refuses to open, spinning at high speed.

Any ideas, Thanks again.
JWils

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd Rather not

Obviously i'd rather not go through the hassle of returning it, to Ebuyer, so is there any other ideas.

The Nero 6 display comments - SCSI command aborted

The anoying thing is i tried a simulation first, without writing and it was ok, and of course i've made a cd-rw already.

thanks, Jwils

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
the cd and dvd use different lasers and it all points to something wrong with the dvd laser
everything is ok until the point of burning,but when the laser comes in things go haywire
try it in someone else's computer,but i think you are just delaying the inevitable

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i think dai is right..
not uncommon for ebay

you could uninstall then reinstall nero...sometimes people get lucky

how do you have the drive installed on the ribbon chain? where is the jumper?

if the control panel reconizes it, probably wouldnt make a difference.

good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed

Hey, so in my subboness I was looking for every other way to resolve this then to get a new drive.

I stumbled upon this post on some other forum ....

"GSA-4082 Nero "SCSI Command aborted"

I switched from an MSI (VIA chipset) motherboard to an Abit NF7 (NForce 2 chipset) mo-board (but same CPU,same RAM, same everything) and I lost the ability to write CDs (LG 52X writer) and DVDs (LG GSA-4082). I toasted 5 disks while getting the "SCSI Command Aborted" error message from Nero. I updated the firmware in the writers, updated Nero to the latest version, got the newest ASPI drivers - nothing worked.
Having read several other postings on the problem, I checked with Device Manager and saw that it reported my drives as as SCSI - which they are not. The drivers for the DVD/CDROM drives were Microsoft so I couldn't roll them back. So I went to the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" entry which showed NVidia drivers and did an update from the ABIT chipset drivers that I had downloaded when I built the machine. Even though I had installed all the drivers when I installed Windows drives were no longer described as SCSI and I can now burn both CDs and DVDs.
So in my case, this was strictly an Nvidia chipset IDE driver problem"

I did what this person did and now I've burned two DVD's, more to come.

Thanks for your advice on the PSU in the first post, excellent.

Jwils

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
comp won't turn on again!!!

Hey guys,

So its a year on and guess wots happened, i formatted the pc to improve it and get rid of all the bugs.

Burned a cd, not remembering the cd drive probs, and the computer is black again. So i think the psu is broken again, any ideas of what wattage i'll need to avoid this again, broke the 350W before now the 400W, is there too bigger wattage?

Thanks again,

JWils

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks again TSF, another good recommendation. Installed the new PSU this morning, and changed the drivers for the DVD drive this time.
Jwils

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.