Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've had this computer for about 2 years now and the other day it wouldn't turn on. When it's plugged in, the green motherboard light stays on. When I press the power button the fans try to spin for like a second then stop. Nothing else happens. The fans only try to spin if I turn it on only after plugging the power cord in. Otherwise they don't move at all.

I don't know if this is a motherboard problem or power supply or maybe something else. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
This really sounds like an issue with the PSU. When my PSU failed it did the exact same thing you're describing. Slapped in a new one and I was ready to play again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was leaning more towards it being a power supply problem, but I called tech support at the company that built my computer and he said it was a motherboard problem and I would have to replace it. So I don't know if I should put in a new power supply or a new motherboard.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If you know someone who has a spare PSU you can always do a test run. Also, look for a local shop who can spare a short bit of time to help you verify it. If it's for warranty service you can often get it free that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.