Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem for years now and I think I it's time to try and fix it. When my computer goes into sleep mode for a long period of time like overnight it the monitor will not start up, everything seems to be on but the monitor won't get out of its sleep mode which forces me to shut it off and restart with scan disk every time. WHY WHY WHY?

I also have another problem I've had to deal with recently . Whenever I restart my computer I get the following dos prompt...

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows
or a Windows application.
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file,
but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted the file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device
file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA~1\CARBON~1\ccw32.vxd

I'm thinking this might be happening because of a new video driver I installed some time ago. These two issues are my main concern right now. I'd also like to know what I could do about "cleaning my registry". I don't know how big a registry file is supposed to be but mine are about 9megs. Is that a junky registry??? Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Sleep mode is problematic on many systems, my advice is to set the monitor to power down and forget about sleep mode. You can lose a lot os sleep getting sleep to work. :D

The other issue looks like you might have had an application, perhaps Carbon Copy, a remote control program installed at one time. Since the machine doesn't seem to need this VXD, I'd do a search in the registry and get rid of the entry that's referring to it. It may also be in the SYSTEM.INI file, a holdover from the Windows 3.x days. :)

As far as cleaning the registry, I use Norton WinDoctor on W9x machines with good luck. They also have a System Optimize option that will compress unused entries out of the registry to minimize it's size.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.