Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a wee bit of a problem here. I took out all of the cards (ie video card) to dust off (with an air can), and clean the connector teeth (with rubbing alcohol). I placed them all back carefully, and turned on my computer. It started to boot up, but right before it would normally make its first beep, the startup stops. My computer then sat in idle, while my disk drive (CD ROM) kept trying to open and close.

I turned the computer off and removed the power from the disk drive, hoping this would help. The disk drive obviously didn’t turn on, but the computer still stalled in the same place. I then had the super genius idea of plugging the disk drive back in while the computer was running (don’t know why I did that). Now the computer still doesn’t start up, but the disk drive is showing a yellow light, and doing nothing.

How do I fix this problem? I realize that I have probably destroyed my disk drive, but I should still be able to start my computer. Any ideas? :sad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake. There was one beep on startup, but no others.

I checked for loose cables, or any that might have fallen out, but could find non. What does IDE stand for?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
if you are getting the single beep it is posting,reseat the video card and don't plug or unplug anything with the power cord still in the computer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the good news is that my computer is up and running again. The bad news is, as I guessed, that my CD ROM has crapped out. I haven't a penny to my name, so it looks like I will be without a CD ROM (and video games) for a while. :sayno:

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
check the bulletin boards in your area,you will probably be able to pick up a second hand one from someone that has upgraded for next to nothing,which will see you through till you can afford a new one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.