Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have posted this in a general hardware troubleshooting section...but i didn't see one. I am "running" (a misnomer at the moment) a computer i built myself about two years ago.

Anyways, the computer won't even post. It turns on for about 1 second, then reboots, wash rinse and repeat. The system was working absolutly perfectly up until 1 or two days before it died. Two days ago it began to exibit those symptoms, but started correctly after a few attempts.

I tried reseeding everything, as well as flashing the bios, but neither helped.

Any ideas? Your help would be much apreicated. Oh, also, am I in any danger of corupting my harddrives? If so i'll just disconnect them for the troubleshooting process.

I really need this computer for photoediting, so any suggestions you could provide would be really nice,

--Paolo

The system is running Windows XP. Has an Asues motherboard (i forget the exact number...can look it up if relavent. I know its a deluxe model, and uses the NForce chipset, if that's helpful), 512 DDR ram, ~1gigahertz AMD processor, Ati Radion 9800pro, and about 200gb worth of Maxtor Hardrives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not completly sure how much power my computer is taking up, but my current powersupply is 350W (I remember thinking that it'd be more than sufficiant at the time). I don't have a second powersupply, but i'll ask around and see if anyone else has one that i can borrow for testing purposes.

Thankyou. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i tried moving around my sticks of RAM and swaping them out. The computer still wont post, but now it issues a never ending steam of short beeps. I looked in both the manual and online but can't seem to figure out what this corisponds to. An infinite loop of long beeps means that it can't find any RAM...but these beeps are deffinatly short. Not to mention the fact that when i remove all of my ram it doesn't beep at all (strange).

The board i'm using is running an Award BIOS, any ideas?

Thanks,
--Paolo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*bump*

Also, i tried replacing the BIOS battery. Which (unfortunatly) didn't help. Could the BIOS chip itself be screwed up?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Check your manual on where the memory goes. Some of these boards require that if you only use one stick of memory, that it is in the third Dimm slot and not slot one. Check your manual to be sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Check your manual on where the memory goes. Some of these boards require that if you only use one stick of memory, that it is in the third Dimm slot and not slot one. Check your manual to be sure.
I have two sticks of memory. I tried all three DIMM slots with each stick. No go.

I read that the bios is supseptible to corruption on the MB i have (weither its from overclocking or a weak battery people disagree). Does the problem i stated sound like a corrupted bios to you guys? Havn't really had experience with that sorta thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.