Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm actually doing this for a friend from my computer but here it goes.

After my friend Cass brought her computer home from college, I tried getting her set up on her home network again (which for some stupid reason consists of one computer now, hers). When set up, turned on, and networking cable plugged in she gets this annoyance of a message balloon in the corner flashing "Network Cable Unplugged" or something to that sort as soon as you click the X it pops back up again, along with that when I went to CMD and did IP Config I found a message saying Media Disconnected.

I'm boggled on this, she's bothered because she can't play World of Warcraft so help me out so she'll stop calling me please. :grin: Thanks

(First Post lawl)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sorry to hear your friend is having problems getting on the net, give these options a try:

1) If it's a laptop check if the wireless switch is on
1a) Go to "Control Panel", "Add or remove programs", "Intel Pro Wireless adaptor", then "Repair".
2) Get and run WInSockFIxhttp://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
3) Start Zero configuration service and go to and check the box for "Use Windows to configure my wireless connections"
4) Change the registry as explained on the Microsoft website mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239924
5) Reinstall drivers for card.

I hope one of these works for you.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If you were to use a different network cable, do you still get the Media Disconnected message? When the cable is plugged into the network adapter and the router/switch, do each have a green light (link status) on? What happens when you try another port on the router/switch?

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
How about telling us the make/model of the modem, any router, etc. Also, if you plug a new device into a broadband modem, you MUST power cycle the modem, did you do that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.