Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

last night, my comp froze on me, but it wasn't like a normal software "freeze" - i wasn't able to move the mouse or ctrl-alt-delete or anything. thinking it was probably a hardware issue, I shut it off and let it rest overnight - i've had a couple of scares w/ my harddrive, and rest always seemed to fix it...

but when i try to boot up my computer now I get NOTHING - that's right no BIOS, no bootloader, absolutely NADA, a blank screen, which means that it's definitely NOT a harddrive problem.

i opened up the case and and power settings seem to be okay - the fans on all the components seem to be running fine, but the screen tells an entirely different story.

(of course, i'm not an idiot...i know it's not the monitor, because it tells me "no signal detected")

now...i'm thinking that it's either a motherboard, processor, bios, or videocard problem....i'm praying it's something simple like a drained BIOS battery....but I doubt it would have done a "hard freeze' b/c of that...

my specs are:
intel p4 2.4 ghz, 533 fsb
asus p4t533-c w/ onboard audio/lan
512 MB PC-800 rambus
80 gb maxtor 7200 ata 100
asus v8460 ultra Ti 4600 128 mb AGP.

please help...i'm dangerously close to actually bringing it in for repair and breaking my three year streak!

thanks in advance,

-matt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You prolly had a surge of some kind. If that's so, that it will either be your Motherboard and Processor, your power supply, or all three that will need to be replaced. And since you still get fans it's prolly your motherboard and processor. Are you using any kind of surge protector or UPS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a surge protector...i don't think it's a very good one though. Thing is, there are a couple of other computers in my house plugged in w/o surge protectors and they didn't get fried.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well, it could of just been a surge on that one circuit. I would suggest buying a good surge supressor for each computer. Rate 2000 joules or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could very well be power related. I have had to replace two power supplies in my father-in-law's PC this year when his burned up. Very similar symptoms as you; the processor and case fans would power up but there wasn't enough juice to power the rest of the system. Of course, his PC is in a dirty shop back in a corner, so it is bound to burn a power supply or two. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Swap parts

Start swapping out parts with your other puters. Start with the video card. Are there any beep error codes? None at all? Could be a dead CPU or motherboard then. Crack the case open and diagnose beyond just hiting the power switch and reset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.