Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I have someone I know with a computer running Windows 98 (don't know if its SE or not). What happened was, she booted it up once, and the computer was going into safe mode (its likely her son didn't turn off the computer correctly). She, while booting into safe mode, said 'she changed some things'. The computer immediately turned off, and when she once again tried to boot it, the monitors light changed almost immediately from green to a blinking orange, and the computer made continuous approx. 4-5 second beeps and a 4-5 second rest in between.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or tell me what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I know that the motherboard was an ASUS, and the brand was a bit of an odd ball. Sounded french (does that help?) Next time I contact her, ill ask what brand it is.

Stupid me wrote all this stuff down, but lost it :(

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
you need to clear the cmos, get things back to default.

either with the jumper on the motherboard, or the button battery pull for 20 minutes, after it is unplugged. the motherboard manual will show the jumper location.

post back

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Now I know wha the problem probably is, we can finally get somewhere. Unfortuneately, I can't perform these actions myself for two months, since this computer is 4 hours away. The only thing I can probably do is instruct the woman to perform these actions herself, put it into a repair shop or tell her to wait for a couple of weeks til I go back. She isn't computer literate. To be honest, ive never touched hardware in my life. I've heard of people resetting the cmos before. I'll see if I can find a diagram or something off the internet.

Anyway, I'd appreciative if you see how progress is going in a couple of months,

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
CLEAR CMOS DATA

Switch off the power supply unit or pull off the power cord. There is a CMOS jumper near the battery. Change the jumper position from default 1-2 to 2-3 for one minute to discharge the CMOS data, check your motherboard for the correct pin numbers, and then put it back to default 1-2. Switch on the power supply unit or pull in the power cord. Press the power-on button to boot up system. If it works, hit "Del" key to enter the BIOS setup page to do correct settings.

post back

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.