Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a wee bit of a problem here. I took out all of the cards (ie video card) to dust off (with an air can), and clean the connector teeth (with rubbing alcohol). I placed them all back carefully, and turned on my computer. It started to boot up, but right before it would normally make its first beep, the startup stops. My computer then sat in idle, while my disk drive (CD ROM) kept trying to open and close.

I turned the computer off and removed the power from the disk drive, hoping this would help. The disk drive obviously didn’t turn on, but the computer still stalled in the same place. I then had the super genius idea of plugging the disk drive back in while the computer was running (don’t know why I did that). Now the computer still doesn’t start up, but the disk drive is showing a yellow light, and doing nothing.

How do I fix this problem? I realize that I have probably destroyed my disk drive, but I should still be able to start my computer. Any ideas? :sad:

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Hi Shamus2121,

I would first like to say, I had made the same msitake of plugging in a disk drive while my pc was on. Unfortunately, that totally killed the drive. I feel your pain, but you make mistake and you learn from them.

This is what I would do.

Do you have a spare hard drive lying around some where? Plug that in *make sure your pc is off first* Stick your video card back in. Make sure everything is secure and tight (ide connections, video card in agp port, memory, all power connections/cables)

Now try to boot again. If its still the same thing, first thing you could try is to clear your cmos. It will be a jumper on your board that your gona have to move from the 1-2 position to the 2-3 position. Post your board manufacturer so that some one here can help, and if you have your manual, you can look it up in that as well.

After you clear the cmos, try and boot again. Any success?? Do you hear any beeps?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake. I do hear a first beep, but no others. I have checked for loose connections, but not found any. I also tried removing, and placing the cards back in, but to no avail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.