Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help please.

I am attempting to upgrade my computer. I purchased a pcchips P23G (ver1)motherboard and a P4 3.6 CPU combo. I also bought 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 RAM and had it tested. I also have a 550W power source and a Radeon X1600 512MB Card.

When I installed the new Items nothing comes on the screen. There is power going into the board and I can hear the Hard Drive tempoarly spin but that is all that happens. However there is something happening that I have never seen before. There is a red light on the front panel of my machine that stays on. The Machine stays on for about a minute and then shuts off automatically. I returned everything to the original configuration and it boots up without issue.

Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your delima....first thing I would do is take out one module of memory, make sure everything is in secure and try again. Make sure you plugged in all the mobo power connectors....usually a 24 pin and 4 pin conector If that fails, then take a look at the mobo standoffs and make sure none of them are misplaced and causing a short....you can run the mobo on a piece of cardboard out of the case to check this. And I would also look to see that the cpu heatsink is not on too tight. Double check that the cmos clr jumper is present and on the correct pins. Also, does the x1600 require additional 12V power, look on the card for a molex connector. Post back what you find, and please list al of your components....it will help us troubleshoot in better detail if need be. incl. the make/modle psu, and memory

·
Registered
7 Posts
are you sure the board supports ddr2 ram?

have u got both a sata and ide hard drive installed on the board as some boards wont support both being booted, only the one with the operating system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Tip. Here is my updated information and the results my recent trouble shooting:

PSU: Antec HE 550 ATX 12v v2.2 and EPS12 Compliant (+12V/ 18A)
Mobo: P23G Socket LGA775 uATX M/B integrated video and AGP 8X
CPU: P4 Model 570J 3.8GHZ
RAM: Samsung 2GB (1GBx2) DDR2 MM-2GBK2667S 667 PC2-5300/ 5400 CL4 240-Pin DIMM
Video: ATI Radeon X1600 512MB AGP 4/8X (12v connector)
Hard Drives: Matrox ultra ATA/133 120GB 7200RPM and Western Digital 250GB WD Caviar SE 7200RPM IDE/ATA interface
Operating Sys: WINXP Pro SP2

I did everything you said to the letter and still nothing. I played with the RAM and Clear CMOS setting and it responded by not getting power when they were put in wrong. I went even a step extra and switched out my power with this: PSU: Future Power Model win-500ps ATX 123V (+12V/19A). Nothing.

Everything works fine when I put my computer back to the original configuration. This is a computer I built in 2003 and have upgraded everything but the mobo and cpu.

I am left to believe that I may have received a DOA CPU. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Did you disable the onboard video in the bios, do you hear any bios beep codes on startup ? Also the Antec Neo has a problem with some mobo's, I'm not sure if yours is affected. If your cpu failed I would expect that it would give a beep or warning during post. Also if the HD already has an OS (XP) on it already you'll have to do a repair install of XP for it to work properly....look up an article here on the forum on how to do that (sysprep)....I have to run, but will check back tonight. The red light may be your HD activity LED (front of case) if its on the mobo it may just be an LED that indicates the mobo has power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank everyone for you help with this problem. I finally got my problem resolved and I wanted to share it with everyone so that no one will go through the same pain.

My Computer case did not have spacers in between the Motherboard and the Case. My old motherboard had no issue with this but the new one kept shorting out killing the motherboard and the CPU.

That was why my system was not working properly from the start. Had nothing to do with the fact that my old mother board was a legacy system. When I played high processing games, it created my system to restart. Fortunately my old motherboard never fried.

Long hard and expensive lesson to learn (since 23 Nov/ over $850) that could have been fixed with some $3 spacers case spacers.

Good Luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.