Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having problems with my CD drive not working etc. So using MSCONFIG I tried to start it in diagnostic mode. When the computer restarted it froze on the "blue screen". When I restarted it I pressed "ESC" and that got me the black screen that shows the RAM/Hard Drive etc is being checked. Then it freezes at that point. I restarted it again and this time pressed "F1" immediately after it checked the Hard Drive etc. The computer displayed a message saying "Loading Setup" or something to that effect and froze at that point. Is something fried?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I need more information, what was your CD drive doing that was causing problems? What was the error code when the Blue screen of Death appeared? Have you tried to restart your system without hitting ESC or F1? If so what was the results of that restart? Have you tried disconnecting the CD drive and see if it boots up normally? If you have disconnected the CD drive and still get errors on boot up, what are the error messages?

Off hand I would say that something in your CD drive is causing your problems given what information you have given. If you can answer the questions above I may be able to help you more. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have not gotten any error messages at all. My computer simply stopped reading my CD drive. When I put a CD into the drive it would spin the CD up; act like the drive was being read for a minute, then the lights would go out and nothing would happen. When I clicked on the drive letter in explorer or via the run box it would simply ask me to enter a CD into the box. I tried cleaning the drive, etc, but nothing worked. Basically the computer stopped recognizing that the drive existed. I tried to use MSCONFIG's diagnostic startup to see if there were any specific driver issues, etc and when I tried restarting the computer in that mode it only got to as far as the blue screen before it stopped loading (It never started loading windows). I've tried letting it sit at that stage for an hour or so and it never moves, the orange light on the tower doesn't flickers, it just sits silent. When I press ESC when it starts to boot it shows me that the RAM passed, System/Virtual BIOS Shadowed, Mouse initialized, and it shows the "Fixed Disk Comment" and the hard drive is spinning. The light on the floppy drive never comes on during this process. If I press F1 while it is testing the RAM it says "loading" setup on the bottom of the screen, but never goes any further; thus, I can't get into any settings, etc. I've taken the entire computer a part, pulled the CPU chip out, etc. I can't find anything that is burnt, and it does not smell like something is blown. I did find that my CPU fan did not appear to be running. When I plugged the computer in with it partially a part the fan was just shaking. I gently spun it a few times with my finger and it "kind of" started to spin. So my guess is it basically cooked itself. I've taken the entire computer completely a part and reassembled it and I get exactly the same result. Absolutely no error messages. It just sits there and looks ugly. If you look at the standard of a computer boot process being divided into three parts 1. BIOS, 2. Windows, 3. Programs; I get mostly through BIOS, but I never reach the point where it starts loading windows. Checking the hard drive and initializing the mouse are the last two steps it displays on the screen in BIOS. Does this sound like it would be a CPU chip problem where I could just change that or is it more likely a motherboard problem?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
All newer fans output a rotation signal which is read by the motherboard. If your bad fan has 3 wires going to it, it is definitely of this variety. If the fan is not rotating fast enough, some mobos will refuse to turn on.

Start by replacing the fan.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm away from the computer right now, but it definately has 2 wires coming from it. I let it run last night in pieces for a bit and the heat sink under that fan got real warm so I figured that ment that the mobo and cpu chip had both turned on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.