Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I either close my lid or press the power button, my Vista laptop activates sleep mode. From which it WILL NOT wake up from sleep mode. I need to remove the battery and put in back in then restart the computer. I just had my laptop sent in and the motherboard was replaced because my network port was bent. It never happened before it went in but it does now.

Any ideas? :4-dontkno

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Bryn

P.S. My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ50

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I wouldn't it in sleep mode any more. To change the button from sleep mode to power off do this

control panel (classic view)
power options
(left pane) choose what the power buttons do
change the power button so it will now turn off the computer and not put it to sleep.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why it does it. Its got to be a bug in Vista or something depending on the hardware and software combined. There are variables involved, that confuse me too.

I would just avoid Hibernation and Sleep on Vista.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
Have you tried changing the battery program options? It might have to do with your HDD shutting down once you close the lid or something.

My girlfriend owns a couple laptops and I always help her if she's got an issue but since Laptops rely on software for the battery and other hardware a lot more than desktops it can get really finicky with the settings.

I'm sorry I'm not much of a help but you could try tweaking the battery program's settings.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I actually had a problem where when my girlfriend changed her computer's power button, so that when she pressed it wouldn't turn off the computer. Well The problem was that when she put that on the battery wouldn't charge, so she put it back and presto it was charging again.

Yes Laptops can be very finicky.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, MentorMatt is most likely on the right path This is from an earlier post:-

Hi, since this revolves around "hibernation" lets take a look there. Your hibernation settings are contained in a file "hiberfil.sys" and if it is corrupt could be the cause of your problem (none of this will do any harm). Lets clear the file:-

Open a CMD prompt (as administrator, accessories right click command prompt select "run as administrator)

At the prompt type:-

Code:
  powercfg -h off  press enter
reboot to take effect
This will disable hibernation and clear the hiberfil.sys file.

After reboot open another CMD prompt (as administrator, as above) and type:-

Code:
powercfg -h on  press enter
reboot to take effect
Now go to this site and apply the recommended settings for power saving (inc hibernation) read it all.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

Hopefully this will resolve your problem.(don't worry about the vista applies to 7 as well)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.