Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my sister's computer just recently stopped working. It's an old Dell PC that I added some older parts to such as a video card and extra ram and a harddrive so my sister can use it for her work and occasional games.

It worked fine for almost a year, but for some reason, it just stopped working. She reports to me she didn't do anything, she just woke up one morning and it would power up, I can hear the fans, and the cd-drive even works. However, there is no response to the mouse nor the monitor. Nothing comes on screen, and the mouse does not light up.

Usually I can fix computer problems, but this leaves me stumped. I've looked inside and nothing looks unusual, no burnt power supply, nothing.

Please let me know if you have any idea how to fix it or what the problem is!
Thamks in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem on my old computer, although my screen would flash on 4 about half a second then go blank. In then end i bought a new monitor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe its the monitor because no response comes to the mouse also. Although the monitor is pretty old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it would be a dust problems according to one year old of new spares,

But, First I need to ask if there is any sounds coming from the PC speaker when booting ??

If not try to unplug VGA-RAM and plug them again and try.

Don't forget to unplug power before doing this process!!!!

Regards,
Mika

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To think about it, it is VERY dusty. I'll try that later when I get back from school, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some dell computers do not use beep codes to tell you there is a hardware problem. Check the back of the machine, is there an array of LEDs labeled with letters? If so, note the color of each letter and look it up online, that will tell you what the problem is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have much experience or knowledge, But i have a slightly stanger, but still related problem. Does the fan or something in computer stay loud when you boot up and the monitor isnt responding? Have you tried switching the monitor cable from the video card to the old jackthingy on the back of your tower? Have you tried shutting it down, waiting a while then trying again?

And, could this be a problem related to overheating?

Oh well theres my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it was working fine for a few months, and all of a sudden my sister woke up one morning and it decided to die.

We've tried to let it rest for a week while my sister was on vacation, but it still won't work. Nothing comes to the monitor, its as if the monitor is not getting a response from the computer. In addition, the mouse doesn't light up, and the keyboard gets no reponse as the lights on the keyboard won't light up.

As of now, I'm dusting it, and I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well heres an update. Problem still persists. However, I went to the dell site, used the online tutorial and now figured out the lights. Supposedly the light code is telling me that its the Video card. I did a few more random tests with the video card, like reseating it, still didn't work.

Now its suggesting that I swap in another video card, and I'm planning on doing that tommorow with my computers video card when I have more time.

However, what stumps me is why does the mouse or keyboard not respond also if its the video card? Is this normal?

Should I trust Dell and buy a new video card?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.