Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i've been playing on a game or been on the computer for a considerebly long time so it generates heat, the computer switches off, i've put a huge fan on the end of my graphics card, i've bought a brand new antec 450W powersupply, i've downloaded speedfan, the CPU fan is running fine, and the motherboard and CPU temperatures are fine , still does it , it starting to get worse.
This only started recently, i used to have a problem where after playing a game, lots of colours came on the screen randomly and i had to restart, i fixed this with the new power supply, im really fustrated, i just need to know the problem, then i could fix it plz help :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
add on

i forgot to add, when it switches off, the only way to restart it is to switch the powersupply off, untill the motherboard green light goes off, then i can switch the powersupply back on and press the on button, the computer would then take the same amount of time as before to switch off.
i suspect its overheating, but its only recently started happening, and i need to know what part is overheating if it is.
btw i dont have any viruses or spyware

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had these same problem as you only in the opposite order. FIrst my PC overheated and i got a new CPU fan which fixed that mostly. Then I would have the arfifacts and my games would freeze and requrie a restart. At that point i got a new PSU and new RAM. That seemed to take care of it mostly. However just a few days ago my PC started restarting and I ran into more problems...

So im not quite sure what to tell you. Id say your looking at
>You have a bad video card which is causing artifacts
>Underpowered PSU even though its new?
>BAD RAM

Id run a ram test for sure just to see if thats a problem. Beyond that wait for the guys here to answer hopefully they will have more ideas. :sayyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spec

i got : 9800 SE All in wonder, Creative labs
1.83ghz amd athlon +
2*256MB 3200+ RAM
antec 450watt huge fan,
CPU fan = coolmaster 7+ ( big )
graphics card has a big extension fan

im not very good at the spec

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Here is what you posted:

1.83ghz amd athlon +
2*256MB 3200+ RAM
antec 450watt huge fan,
CPU fan = coolmaster 7+ ( big )
graphics card has a big extension fan

Please list your motherboard, number of case fans, size of case fans, where they are located in the case and which direction they are blowing (ie: pulling air in or blowing it out). Have you tried one stick of ram to see if it still crashes? Is your memory (please list brand name) on the QVL of your motherboard? Which direction is your CPU fan blowing, is it pulling air up or blowing air down? Have you given any thought to Omega drivers for your unit? Did you put the CPU and Heatsink together with ARtic Silver or the factory heatsink pad?

This information should help someone to guide you on where to look next. Please post back with information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k

1.83ghz amd athlon + CPU

2*256MB 3200+ RAM , one is twinmos, other is crucial

antec 450watt 5.5inch fan blows air out back of case and down into the case

CPU fan = coolmaster aero 7 ( big ) air blows downwards(onto CPU), rpm is avarage 3835 (seeing as it is a big fan i didn't think it'd need to be fast) (tested with SpeedFan), I used arctic silver for the heatsink, same with the extension fan on the graphics card

graphics card has a big extension fan (old one wasn't big enough i thought) (3.5 inch)(blowing air out back of case accross the card front)(enclosed)

motherboard is Asus A7V880 VIA KT880 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-054-AS)

plastic grill on the inside back of the case, has a 4 inch fan blowing air out back of case

i hope this is enough, thanks

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Psynto said:

1.83ghz amd athlon + CPU

2*256MB 3200+ RAM , one is twinmos, other is crucial

antec 450watt 5.5inch fan blows air out back of case and down into the case

CPU fan = coolmaster aero 7 ( big ) air blows downwards(onto CPU), rpm is avarage 3835 (seeing as it is a big fan i didn't think it'd need to be fast) (tested with SpeedFan), I used arctic silver for the heatsink, same with the extension fan on the graphics card

graphics card has a big extension fan (old one wasn't big enough i thought) (3.5 inch)(blowing air out back of case accross the card front)(enclosed)

motherboard is Asus A7V880 VIA KT880 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-054-AS)

plastic grill on the inside back of the case, has a 4 inch fan blowing air out back of case

i hope this is enough, thanks
Hi,

Looks like you are on top of the cooling, and IF that is the problem, you may want to add a front fan to draw in cool air. I just can't believe it is cooling (if you put the Artic Silver on properly) with all you have done, but who knows. If you have taken the side panel off and put a fan there and it does not help, then I would start looking someplace else. On second thought, I didn't see that you have checked or monitored the temps or voltages. You should really do that to make certain that is not the problem. Here are a couple of free programs if you don't have an onboard program to do that:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I'd also recommend Motherboard Monitor 5, which can be found below: You do need to know that support for this product has been discontinued, but it is still available in the lastest form with the link below:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads

Where I would look at as another option if I were you would be the mismatched memory you have. I would guess that might be a real problem for you. If it were mine, I would take out the odd stick and leave the Crucial in there. Check your motherboard manual to see which slot is the one you should put it in and then give it a try under stress.

Another option might be to look at the video drivers. Might want to try Omega drivers as another check.

Let us know how it goes and post back with results.

That would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I tried sandra, motherboard moniter and speedfan, all give normal temps and voltages and the fans are at normal rpms when the computer switches off, i dont think its anything to do with heat anymore, the PSU wouldn't be underpowered i think cause i didn't buy a cheap one, i got a good quality one.

i've tried taking out one RAM stick and leaving one in(also in the right place on motherboard), still switches off, i tried switching the RAM sticks but the problem persists, i've reinstalled the video drivers, problem persists, i dont know what to do.

thanks for your help so far, i hope we're narowing down on the problem :dead: :sayyes:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Nice job of narrowing it down so far. If it were mine, I would try the Omega drivers for the video card as I mentioned before.

The second suggestion, would be to try another video card and see if it still shuts down.

A third suggestion would be to run a memory test program and see how many errors you get. This takes considerable time to run (suggest overnight), but is a great way to know if there is something there to pinpoint.

Here is the program for that:

This is actually the best utility for testing memory called memtest86.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d1247.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.