Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

computer turning on and off

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
I just replaced my harddrive and after about 4-5 hours, the machine will turn off, then try to turn back on. I have to turn it off for about 5 minutes then it's ok.I'm running xp.I have checked all connections and the inside is dust free. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi Scobe,

Welcome to our forum. To be quite honest, it does not sound like a hard drive problem at this point, but one never knows for sure.

Let's start by you downloading the SensorviewPro program under my signature area and then post the results here on the forum. Check the temps when you first start up, then check them after you have run the computer with heavy stress or playing games, etc. Also, post the voltages and the fan speeds that the program reports when you first start up. That should get us started looking at issues.

#3 ·
Hi!
It's only suggestion but you can check Power Options Properties if "Turn off hard disks" and "System standby" schemes are set to "Never".

To access this options: right click on a Desktop, select Properties, next --> Screen Saver tab ---> click Power button. Power Options Properties dialog will show up. Check Power Schemes for "System standby" and "Turn off hard disks", maybe you have different options than "Never" so system after few hours turns to standby state?

Kamil

#5 ·
I downloaded the program you suggested, and the cpu temp= 135 (F)sys=61(F),aux=103(F)hdo=97(F)(this is after 4 hours)When i first start up they're 80,52,81,65./cpu fan speed=2400. I had diagnostics chech done and was told my week old hard disk had a bad block, but the cd diagnostics that came with it,say its perfectly ok,Tonight it seems fine, but other day it kept logging me off and it took awhile to be able to log on/ Thanks for your suggestion. It sure is frustrating!

#6 ·
Hi Scobe!
My computer is running as a server so it's always turn on (all Power schemes are set to Never) but on my previous machine system sometimes has gone to standby mode turning off disks and sometimes it was very hard to stand it up so I think it could be a solution to check those settings in Power schemes. Maybe you should check the same settings in BIOS if they are available (depends on BIOS manufacturer and mobo)? ....or check the temperature in your case... maybe it has "fever" inside?? ;)

Best wishes,
Kamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.