Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a relatively new Dell that I bought with Vista however I do not know how to check my "specs". But anyways. When I try to run a bootup on my computer the fan turns on but then does not turn over and shuts off. Then it trys to repeat this process another time with the same result. On the third attempt by the computer it does beep but nothing comes up on my screen and it can be turned off with a single push of the button. I am completly stumped. I have tried a system restore but I am not very computer savy. It's only by pure luck I was able to get on my computer today after many trys. If someone could help me it'd be great.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If it's still under warranty, contact Dell. The problem you describe sounds like a power problem.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
is it a computer or a laptop

put the model number in at the dell site,and look on the specs page that comes up for that model

have you upgraded anything since buying it

can you access the bios

can you boot into safe mode

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a desktop
And it's a Dell Inspiron 530
I know that I put a new graphics card in it which was GE Force I think?
Intel Core 2 quad processer
4 GB ram
16 mb bios chip
I'm not sure exactly what you want to be honest like I said I'm not very computer savy.
But I have not had any new upgrades since I have gotten the computer and up until recently it has been working fine. And I'm not sure about how to get to bios or safe mode I know that it's in the startup when it comes up with the dell screen and I can hit f2 of f9 I believe maybe it's 11 I'm not sure. But the problem is that it doesn't even come up to that screen. Right now I have it running and I'm on it obviously and I don't want to shut it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh also I bought a new power supply when I got the computer and I'm not sure what the wattage on it is because the box was ruined in my basement but I would have to guess it's a 350W

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Open the PC and look at the PSU. There will be a label with the Brand and Model.
What is the Model Number of the graphics card?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idk how to do any of that stuff and my boxes with all the info on the graphics card and the power supply are ruined so idk. Sorry to be such a pain I'm just very confused.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
you get a screw driver and open the case then look at the power supply so you can tell us what it is by the sticker then screw the case back on

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
you can but I wouldn't recommend it. It does sound like you have a power problem anyway so you would have to replace that power supply but knowing what it is will help us help you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.