Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my previous MSI-6330 K7T Turbo motherboard (burned out) with a similar one (MSI-6330 K7T Turbo Limited Edition).

Ever since I installed it, it takes about 5min before I can boot the computer up. If I restart the computer, it won't reboot until being OFF for about 5min. I checked all the jumpers, connections, and bios setting (loaded Fail-Safe), still no luck. I flushed the bios and put 3.5 on there, still no luck.

Any ideas?

Also,
When the computer does boot to windows xp, it freezes or restarts (in either case it takes 5min before I can reboot). No error message. Don't know if it's a separate winxp issue.

Athlon T-Bird 1.33giz
MSI K7T Turbo Limited Edition motherboard
Micron 256mb PC133 ram
Maxtor 40g hdd
Asus GF4 MX440 video card
Windows XP w/ service pack 1

·
Registered
40 Posts
Windows NT/2k/XP dont like it when u change motherboards on it. There's prolly a slight difference between the old and the new one. Usually problems with it having a difference controller card built in. You're most likely going to have to reinstall windows to get this to work. Boot from the XP cd and try repair. It should Install fresh copies of the OS on there and add the mobo to the system. You're prolly going to have to reinstall all your program if you do this tho, but's it's probably the only way.

I'd also wait a bit for other posts before trying this. Maybe something else will help. But this option here is your last choice other than just reinstalling over what u have instead of trying a repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really think it's the OS. Technically, even if the hard drive is not plugged in, I should be able to turn on the computer whenever I want to and access the bios. Presently, the video doesn't boot (monitor remains on stand by). Only after keeping the computer shut down for ~5min do I start seeing the computer boot.

It's not the video card, I have tested it and tried a different one.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
This sounds like you may have a hardware issue with either the MB or the P/S. There is no reason with no drives connected that you should have any significant delays accessing the BIOS. I assume you have used the jumper to reset to factory defaults and still have the issue, correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have cleared the CMOS. Also, the power supply is relatively new. It was fine before my previous motherboard burned out. All I did was replace the bad motherboard with the new one (similar type).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.