Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I now I think its either the motherboard or power supply.

My spec is as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 4600+ X2 Socket AM2 Dual-Core OEM Processor
Speeze SP742B3 CoolKing 754/939/940 Coppercore - Ball bearing CPU Cooler
Asus M2N-E Socket AM2 NF570ULTRA Audio Lan USB2 2000FSB SATA ATX
motherboard
WD Raptor WD740DFD 74GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache - OEM Harddrive
Connect 3D X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 DVIx2 VIVO PCI-E
HiperLink PSU Extension - 2x 2 Molex to 1 PCI-E Converter
Extra Value Black/Silver Gladiator Mid Tower Case - Win Power 500W PSU and 12cm Front Fan, 12cm back fan, 8cm side fan
Kingston 1gb DDR2 800mhz/PC2-6400 Non-ecc CL5 memory.
Windows XP Pro

SpeedFan results:
Temp 1:30C
Temp 2:28C
Temp 3:-4C
HDO: 27C
Temp 1: 40C
Core: 17C

Vcore1: 1.25V
Vcore2: 3.20V
+3.3V: 0.00V
+5V: 4.81V
+12V: 11.65V
-12V: -16.97V
-5V: -8.78V
+5V: 4.76V
Vbat: 2.99V

Do these temps & voltages look ok?

The problem is that whilst playing a game (flight sim X, or GT Legends for example) the computer just switches off. No blue screen of death, no restarts or reboots just switch off and stays off. If i turn it on again it will load up with no problems.

I have read reviews on the ASUS M2N-E and a common problem is the chipset overheating. However if the chipset was too hot, would it load up again with no problems, or would it switch itself off again straight away until it has cooled down? On the otherhand it could be the PSU not being able to give the power to the graphics card.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is there an easy way to find out if its the power supply and not the MB or vice versa?

All thoughts much appreciated! Cheers

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I also think you may be having power supply problems. First of all, your power supply is called a generic supply that is not known for being very strong and does not have a lot of power. The second issue is that you need a more powerful (more wattage) BRAND NAME power supply in there. Without running the calculator (you can do that), my guess is that you need like an Antec Trio 650 in that rig.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Imho, psu is the culprit. At idle your running 11.65 volts, that may or
may not be withing a tolerable range. Then you start playing a game,or
do anything video related and there is a big draw on the psu, then you
crash. Imho Asus boards are one of the best out there. It would be a
wise investment to get another quality psu, whether that is the problem
or not. A flakey psu can damage mobo, and other components, Ive had
it happen.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

That is a great power supply and would run your rig real nicely. I would recommend that you do get that one. There can be no guarantees about if it is exactly the power supply, but that would be my best guess from what I know about your problem. Anyhow, that power supply you have listed will last you for some time and power a rig even if you decide to add more things or upgrade to something even more demanding.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
It could also be a problem with overheating if those temperatures are at idle. Try playing a 3D game for a while and post the Speedfan results under stress to see if there's a big difference.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds exactly like the problems I had:

Random shutdowns

I solved it with a new and stronger PSU and am fairly confident it would be the same for you.

Although in my case it would also happen at random while more or less idling...

I got a FSP Epsilon 700W PSU and haven't had a single problem since.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Boy, do we love news like that one. Hope it stays running for you a good long time. Don't be a stranger on here now, stick around and enjoy the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.