Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a emachine W3080 with AMD Athlon XP Processor windows xp home edition preinstalled service pack 1. I was trying to update to windows service pack 2, halfway through the installation I got a message saying some file was missing, I dont remember wich one, service pack 2 couldnt install so only half my computer was updated, so I went to remove programs to remove service pack 2, then it restarted it started to boot 2 or 3 sec later it will shut off and restart again. the computer is stuck in a restart loop. even in safe mode. would a windows xp recovery disc fix it? I heard something about amd processors on HP computers having problems with service pack 2 is that something similar to what I have? and i also dont have a recovery disc, I bought this pc in a garage sale. PPLLLEASSSE HELP

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: computer stuck in a restart loop after trying to install windows service pack 2

When you first start booting your computer, press F8. There should be an option for "last known good configuration" try that let us know how you go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: computer stuck in a restart loop after trying to install windows service pack 2

Under F8 you can also select the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option in order to see the error it's giving you and troubleshoot further (if John's suggestion didn't work).

To answer your question.. the AMD error wouldn't cause the installation error you got, but that doesn't mean it can't be an issue. It would have a STOP error code of 0x0000007e, and be fixable after the fact by either:

Booting into the recovery console with your XP cd and, from a command prompt, typing disable intelppm

Or if you can boot into safe mode you can do start -> run: sc config intelppm start= disabled

To check for this problem before updating your SP, you would need to run this program by Jesper Johansson MVP.

Of course, since SP2 is so much older.. there's a chance that it's been patched as to no longer create this error at all, so it may not be an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my computer still stuck on restart loop

First I want to give thanks to John Von Trapp & CetKat for the reply's. Well I tried using F8 and selected last good configuration and it still does the same thing I also tried starting in safe mode, but as soon as it starts to reboot it will shut off. The only reason I havent called the manufacturer is because the phone call will cost me more than the computer I think its like $60 for a half hour. is there any other way? or am I screwed? Thanks
ps I also forgot to add on my first post my computer came preinstalled with XP Home edition.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

Hi eddiev22 !

I merged your answer to your previous thread, please reply in this thread. You can find your old threads by clicking View Posts => your posts at the top of the page.

The error causing restart loops on AMD systems (caused by the intelppm driver) happens when installing SP3, not SP2. What service pack were you installing, Service Pack 2 or Service pack 3 ?

Did the uninstallation of SP2 complete, did it ask you to restart the computer or did it crash when you tried to remove SP2 ?

Repeatedly press F8 at startup and select disable automatic restart on system failure as cetkat suggested. If you get a blue error screen give us all the info.

If the error is STOP: c0000135 {Unable To Locate Component} then follow these instructions from Gateway (Gateway bought eMachine in 2004) : Computer Stuck in Restart Loop After Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2

The same info from Microsoft : You receive a "Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found" error message after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

If the error message is different then grab a retail XP CD (borrow one), change the boot order priority to CD-rom first in the BIOS, press 'R' to access the recovery console, select your installation and enter the password if needed (enter if left blank), and from the c:\windows\ prompt type chkdsk c: /R. Tell us about the scan's results and retry to boot in safe mode.

While you're in the recovery console you can also type disable intelppm. That driver is not used on systems based on an AMD chipset so it can't do any harm.

You can order the system restore CD's from eMachine :
http://www.emachines.com/support/upgrades.html
Use the chat support if phone costs too much.

eMachine W3080 support page

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I finally got the restore cd from gateway 20$, well now its asking me for administrator password, and everytime i type it in, it gives me invalid password but that is the login password i use, I tried every person's login password, that uses this computer. what do i do now am i S O L? please help

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Have you tried hitting enter without entering any password ? Default admin logon should be "administrator" as user name and no password. Else contact eMachine's support :4-dontkno

You could also take the hard drive out of the eMachine and slave it in another desktop computer to backup your data. Then format the hard drive and reinstall from scratch.

Have you tried to remove service pack 2 using the recovery console :
http://assets.gateway.com/s/issues/2-1750701561.shtml

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im growing impatient here, I dont know what else to do ive been working on this computer for a long time now, I appreciate all the help u been giving me, I hope you aint getting tired of me,but I just cant get it to format. Im at the point where I dont care if I loose everything I had in the computer, I had a lot of music in there that took me a long time to get, but I dont care no more, I just want to get it to work again, ive tried emachine support, but they said that was a how to question and they charge for those kind of questions. I tried all the sights you posted here for me and I did everything it said, but I still cant get it.
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING, I put in the recovery disk, windows set up comes up and it says,
to set up windows press enter, then i press enter then it says, set up cannot find the end user licensing agreement. So i skipped that and tried to repair windows xp installation using recovery console, i pressed R
then it said which windows, i pressed 1:c:\windows and then password, I pressed enter, and then the command prompt pops out, c:\windows> and I typed format and it looks like this c:\windows>FORMAT then I get ,THE COMMAND IS NOT RECOGNIZED OR THE PARAMETER IS NOT VALID TYPE HELP FOR A LIST OF COMMANDS, so I typed help and in the list I do find format I am not misspelling it or anything it just wont recognize it, what am i doing wrong? i cant even get it to format, ive tried using support gateway for more info on restoring my system. but i dont see that option of destructive or full restoration on the recovery console. oh and my computer is set up to boot from cd. PPPLLEEAASSE HELP

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
You do not format that way . . I would first slave the drive to a working pc to salvage any files you cherish . . after that:

enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP3, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-3, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
http://www.techsupportforum.com/content/Hardware/Tips/48.html

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
You don't have to loose all your music if you have another computer available. Just take the hard drive out of your computer (4 screws and 2 cables to unhook), attach it in place of the CD-drive of the other computer and you'll be able to backup all your stuff on that other computer.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
If you use the proper recovery CD's for your model and have the OEM product key on a sticker on your computer just enter your key when reinstalling and you'll have no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.