Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows XP, Media Edition Service Pack 2

The other day upon trying to boot up my computer, it got all the way to a loading screen with the gateway Logo loaded for a few seconds then went to a blue screen with the message.

Stop: 0x00000024

I first removed all of my ram, (I had 4 sticks) and turned the computer on with each one, one in at a time. By itself, 2 ram sticks did not allow the computer to load up past the first black screen (Which said Bios Menu F2, Boot Menu F10) it would instead make a long drawn out high volume high tone for 2 seconds, then do it again a few moments after stopping it.

So, I put those two ram sticks that didn't cause that to happen in my computer and it got to the loading screen then gave me the error message again.

I eventually got the Recovery Console Disk floppy's, put them onto a CD to go into the Recovery Console. I did dskcheck /r and restarted my computer same issue with the same stop message.

I then tried fixmbr, then fixboot. Upon restarting the computer again it gives me the error "Ntldr Not Found" in the dos black screen. (I think the screen with all the code is dos at least)

It will load the recovery console, I can boot up Ubuntu on this computer with an Ubuntu CD (Without installing) but any other way I can't get past the Ntldr.

I found some codes to try in the recovery console. I tried

Copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
Copy:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

And it said "Files Could not Be Found"

And that's where I'm currently at with this machine. What can I do at this point? I can not find any CD's my computer came with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I did do chkdsk /r, and /p too.

I misspelled it on my original post. But I did it and it said everything was fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i'm not too sure but ntldr not found after you did fixmbr n fixboot could mean you have more than 1 hdd/partition, and either your os or the ntldr is not on the first/boot partition?

or the hdd is dead.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use to have 2 Hard Drives, but once my computer failed before giving me an IRQL More or Less. Or something similar.

It stopped giving me that message and booted up normally when I removed the second 80 Gig which was a slave drive anyways.

A few months after getting this computer (Back in 2005), the motherboard fried and I had to get a new one.

How can I see if the hard drive is dead? Because I'm able to run Unbuntu on this computer just fine. Run from disk, there's no extra partition for it.

I know this has a recovery partition, I don't know if that counts or how I could access it.

I'm thinking of getting my friends hard drive put it into mine, and throwing mine as a slave to see if I can find what the problem there is... if I do end up turning it into a slave drive, what am I looking for to prove whether or not it's 'dead' or not?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could get an usb adapter for your hard drive, connect the ide/sata connector to the hdd, then the other end to a laptop or another working computer's USB port, and see if it appears in the My computer as an additional drive (i.e. drive:F). If it does, click on it to see your files. If you can access your files, the drive is good. If the drive doesn't show, it is probably dead. You can check with the Administrative Tools/ Computer Management/ Disk Management utility in Control Panel. If it doesn't appear in the list of drives, it is dead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The hard drive is being shown as a drive when I run Ubuntu on the same computer. Ubuntu wasn't installed, just running off CD.

does that mean there's some juice to it still?

Gosh, is there just an easier way to fix this. I am getting terribly frustrated, I've been working almost non stop on this rig for 4 days now ever since it broke.

I keep looking up the same things on the internet hoping to find one magic solution I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a Spotmau cd a few years ago, which is a bootable windows xp utilities cd, and it has a fix for the ntldr problem you are having. I paid like $10 for it then. Also I would do a google search for Hirem's boot cd. It also has a boatload of useful utilities that would likely have the fix you are looking for. I think this is a free download as an ISO file, which you would then burn to cd, and use the cd to boot from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Hirem's boot cd, so what do I do with it to fix the problem?
Look thru the different utilities for one that fixes Windows xp issues, such as NTLDR not found. I can't guarantee that it's there, but with all the ones on the cd, there's a good chance you'll find something helpful. You put it in the cd drive, and restart your computer, and press any key to boot from cd, then scroll through the programs. If it won't boot, then go to the bios setup and change the boot order so that the computer will boot from the cd first, and hard drive last, then save the changes and reboot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, thank you very much. However, after going through all the utilities I couldn't find a fix.

So I'm just going to get a new Windows Install CD, get a new hard drive. Throw the current one into slave and see if I can salvage things from it,.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.