Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the last couple weeks my computer has been stalling or freezing for like a second every 5 seconds or so. kinda like a scratched cd would play. only seems to do it when watching videos or movies... any suggestions ? i have run all the scans and ried says i should try here now cause he dont see what could be causing it. thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi justin1218 !

Look for programs running in the background : press ctrl+alt+del to access the task manager and monitor the cpu usage of your processes there. When the computer is idle the system idle process should take 99% of the cpu usage. If you see another processes taking some cpu usage then google with its name and see what it is.

Make sure you've got the latest version of all the programs that may be running in the background and that you have installed the latest critical updates on Windows update.

Go to the device manager : right-click my computer => properties => hardware => device manager. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and double-click the primary channel there. Go to the advanced settings tab and check that the transfer mode is set to DMA if available for all the drives. Do the same for all the other channels.

Defrag your drive and see if it helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i ran my defrag yesterday or the day before and yea it made my computer run better but still skips while watching videos and movies. when im watching movies my cpu usage spikes way up then back down when it skips

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and yes they are both checked. this prblem is just within recent weeks and seems like i have tried everything. i might just burn this computer lol. it's a compaq laptop by the way

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just have norton and have like 312 of 524 or whatever memory its just a recent problem and i have not installed anything new really

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.