Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

This is the first time I have ever had this issue, and I suspect there is something wrong with my Motherboard. However, I am not an expert when it comes to Hardware, so any advices is extremely appreciated. This is a sudden thing. There were no indications to me where it led to a hardware failure. It just stopped working when everything was functioning properly last night.

Last night, I shut off the machine properly, and went to bed. I do this every night. Rarely, I ever leave the computer turned on for the entire night. This morning, when I tried to turn on the computer, nothing happens. The fan will spin for 1 second, then everything gets turned off. The first thing that came into my mind is the Powersupply. So I replaced a W420 with a spare W500. After, I turned on the computer, everything seemed to start up correctly as I am able to hear all the normal noises and the fans spinning, then I get to see the Motherboard splash screen, asking me to 'Press DEL to run Setup, Press Tab to display BIOS POST Message'. Unfortunately, I cannot do so. None of my input devices are working. I have read the BIOS Beep/Error Code thread on this forum, but I seem to get to the same screen after unplugging the two pieces of device.

The following are my hardware specs:

Motherboard: Asus M3A76-CM
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 7850(2.8GHz), 64 Bit Dual Core
Memory: 4GB DDR2 800 (2x2GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI Express Video Card
Power Supply: 420W
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Notes:
- This machine has been fully functional for the past 6 months.
- There are no beeping noises whatsoever that indicate a hardware failure. Everytime I have booted up the machine, all I hear is a single small boot, the same boot noise I have been hearing since the purchase of the machine at functional state.
- The CPU is quiet, doesn't make weird noises, like a typical CPU that functions properly.
- The computer has been working all this time until last night. There are no indications of any hardware failures or overheating, etc.
- No hardware related changes have been made since the purchase of the machine. This includes any sort of overclocking.
- BIOS was not updated or flashed at all.
- No files were downloaded yesterday.
- I plugged in a PS2 Keyboard and 2 USB Keyboards and still get the Splash Screen. Sometimes, using the PS2 Keyboard, by randomly mashing buttons, I get a black screen where it tells me it detected 1 Keyboard and 1 Mouse, tells me to hit Alt-F2 for some sort of window, but I was unable to reproduce it ever since. The mouse power is lighted on, so I know it is detected
- Turned off the machine, removed each Hardware plugged in, and all the results directed me to the Splash screen. When I remove both RAM pieces, it makes beeping noises, which is normal.

Any advices will be extremely appreciated. I really have no idea what causes this to happen.

·
Banned
4,713 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF!!!

You should reset BIOS...

Turn off PC...
Remove power cable from PSU...
Open one side of the case...
Look for silver coin-like CMOS battery...
Take the battery out...
Look for CMOS reset pins on Motherboard...
Put jumper from 1-2 pin on 2-3 pin...
Leave this way for 5-10 minutes...
Hit power button couple of times...
Put back jumper on 1-2 pin...
Put back CMOS battery...
Start PC...

This way you will reset BIOS and hopefully you will be able to enter
BIOS and check voltages...
Post voltages here...

If this does not help, take out graphic card and clean the contacts
with rubber eraser and clean graphic card slot with brush...

What is make/model of your PSU???

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn off PC...
Remove power cable from PSU...
Open one side of the case...
Look for silver coin-like CMOS battery...
Take the battery out...
Look for CMOS reset pins on Motherboard...
Put jumper from 1-2 pin on 2-3 pin...
Leave this way for 5-10 minutes...
Hit power button couple of times...
Put back jumper on 1-2 pin...
Put back CMOS battery...
Start PC...
I am currently at the 'Leaving it for 5-10 minutes' step. I will post shortly.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
10 seconds or so is enough time to leave the jumper on pins 1 & 3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I hit the Tab or the Del button as soon as I start the machine this is what I see:

AMIBIOS(C) 2009 Americal Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS M3A76-CM ACPI BIOS Revision 0602
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 7850 Dual-Core Processor Speed 2.8 GHz
UnGanged Mode, DRAM Clocking = 800 Mhz

Press F8 for BBS POPUP
Press ALT+F2 to execue ASUS EZ FLash 2
1 AMD NOrth Bridge, Rev B3
Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
4096 MB OK (Installed Memory Size: 4096 MB)
USB Device(s): 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse

I cannot get past this screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned the RAM, took out each piece individually, started up, and the Motherboard Splash Screen still shows up. Tried to take both pieces out, started the machine, the Motherboard will start beeping. This appears to be intended behavior.

I am very leaning to replace the Motherboard. Is this something I should be doing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the following things I have tried. Note: DVDRW is not plugged in at all during these tests. Nothing else is plugged in except the Keyboard.

1) Removed just the Video Card (Screen is blank), but I do not see any HD sounds right after the initial boot, so I believe it is stuck at the Splash screen
2) Removed the first Piece of RAM resulted in the Splash Screen
3) Removed the second Piece of RAM resulted in the Splash Screen
4) Removed just the HD resulted in the Splash Screen

Please let me know if other tests are needed to be conducted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.