Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving me nuts past couple weeks, really hoping I can get it fixed by the time Portal 2 comes out.

Whenever I play high graphical games such as Half Life 2, Portal, Borderlands, or even the Magicka demo (not just Source games) my computer shuts off after around 10-15 minutes of playtime. Team Fortress 2 seems to have a longer "lifespan" before shut down. Games like Minecraft, Half-Life, etc. do not cause this problem. It simply turns off, and it requires manual button pushing to restart it.

When playing HL2, the video card temp. rises to 207 F (97 C). I suspect it could be my video card overheating, but I would like some advice on how to remedy this problem. Whether I need to reapply heat paste or replace a fan.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds to me like your system is over heating. Buy a can of compress air and clean out your system. Your card must be really dirty to reach those temps. If cleaning out your system doesn't work come back and list your full system specs making sure you list make and model # of your power supply. These issues are usually caused by a dirty system or a weak power supply.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I hope you've backed up any important data from the hard drive. 130F (54C) is extremely hot. 40C is the maximum safe temperature for hard drives.

How many case fans do you have? Are they positioned correctly and spinning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I cleaned out my computer and reapplied thermal paste to my processor chip... thingy. Booting up Borderlands does not cause a crash (I was playing for around 40 to 60 minutes). Thank you for all your help, I'm definitely going to purchase a new fan soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Take the front of your case off and check to see if its clogged with dust. If you do not have a fan in the front make sure you get one and install it as and intake. Also if your hard drive is in the top slot move it down one as to give it breathing room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.