Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend agreed to let me borrow his computer and use it if I could be able to fix it. What happened though was that he got into a pretty bad car wreck a while back and never had the time to try fixing it. But before that it was working fine of course.

After the accident, he opened it up and saw that the hard drive got thrown at the PSU from the wreck as the hard drive was up against it. So he put it back and when he turned it on... He said it would stay on until it got to the Vista booting screen with the moving bars and shut off during that. Also he said that when he kept turning it on, it continued to shut off at about the same time.

Anyway, he hasn't sent me it yet so I can't give more info about all of the parts at this time. But we both suspect that the PSU is faulty now or if the OS got corrupted. We just hope that most of the parts survived at least.

But I was posting to see if anyone else can suspect better about what the problem is, and/or to have me to look at specific parts after I get it to help determine the issue.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Very possible that the PSU or other components have been damaged. Can always take out the HDD and examine it on another PC, running diagnostics along the lines of check disk -- chkdsk -- to see if it is damaged.

I would look over the components carefully looking for any visible damage before putting them in another healthy system to see if they seem usable. Look for cracks, broken solder points, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. Will do.

He said other than the HDD, everything else seemed in place and had no visible damage. I'll do a close check for that. But who knows what else could have gotten damaged too I suppose. I just hope it's only the PSU, it should be easily replaceable. Other parts would be kind of a pain.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Remove everything from the case.
Inspect all the parts for physical damage and then bench test.

Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.