Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past week I've been experiencing random shut downs of my pc. It started when I wanted to play sims 3 again. I couldn't play it for more than 2 minutes max before my pc would completely shut down without any warning. It has been a few weeks before I last played it, and it used to work just fine. After each shutdown I could start up my pc again, and everything else seems to work fine. First I thought it might be a heating problem, but I tested the temps and the CPU temp only comes above 40 C when really stressing it (around 30 idle), and the core temps hardly reach 50 C at 100% activity. Would also be a little strange, cause this pc is only a few months old and I have been extra careful with it.
So what can it be? A faulty power supply or ram problems? I did try running memtest, and I experience the same shutdowns whenever I test it. Usually it won't even reach 1%. Ditto with the memory test that comes with Vista, but with that one I *might* be able to reach 50% on the first test, but after that points it shuts down for sure.
I thought it was only a problem when playing games, but since yesterday I've been experiencing random shutdowns (2-3 times) when surfing around as well. And today it even shutdown completely when starting up. Lost complete confidence in this pc, wondering what the problem could be.
I checked for viruses as well, but nothing to find. Don't know how I can check if it's a faulty power supply.
I also wondered what I installed or downloaded what it could have triggered. And the only thing I can think of is installing a 5 year old USB dongle (ZyDAS ZD1211 802.11 b+g Wireless LAN) for a new wireless internet connection 3 days ago. Could that be the problem? But I've also removed it once, uninstalled the driver, ran a ramtest and it still would shut down on me. Also checked those system logs, but the only error it will report is that the system shutdown unexpectedly the last time. But I'm not much of a computer expert, so I don't know how to read those properly. Also tried to update every driver I can think of, but nothing helps.
Anyone have a clue what it might be?
Thanks.

My pc:
Acer M3710
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (2.33 GHz)
Videocard: ATI HD3850

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here you go:

CPU Core: 1.200 V
+1.1V 1.120 V
+3.30V 3.360 V
+5.00V 5.134 V
+12.0V 11.968 V
+5 VSB 5.134 V
VBAT 3.120V

CPU Temp: 25 C/77 F
System Temp: 34 C/93 F
CPU Fan: 1308 RPM

Manufacturer of PSU I don't know. How do I check this
I've got 2*2 GB of RAM.

Problem seems to increase now. When I tried to open Explorer last 2 times the computer shut down again, and also one time when it was starting up.

Anyways, I'm off for the weekend. I will read any replies when I come back late on Sunday, and if I still can..

Thanks for any help.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Open the case and look at the label on the PSU. It will have a brand name and model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.