Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just built a new computer using a asus a7v8x-x mobo, and an amd 2.08ghz cpu. The first time i fired it up, the computer shut down after about a minute. The problem seems to have gotten worse. It only stays on for a few seconds at this point. In order for it to turn back on, I have to unplug from the wall, and let it sit for a minute.

I disconnected everything and re-assembled piece by piece to locate the problem, which happens to be with the cpu. When everything but the cpu is attached, the computer will not shut down, then when I add the cpu and heatsink, the problem returns.

Also, when I am in bios and toggle to "boot" to look at my devices, the computer locks up and freezes entirely, and then will shut down. When I exit bios, the computer shuts down.

Is this a sign of a bad mobo or cpu? Is the cpu not being cooled adequately and overheating? Do I just need to change my settings in bios? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cpu temp is about 45 degrees celsius when it shuts down. RPM is detected, and the voltage apears to be normal -- so can I eliminate overheating as a factor?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It sounds like the power monitoring circuits are detecting a problem, but this is just a guess. I shoot these by swapping parts, it's pretty hard to "out-think" them. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
That sounds to me like a dud power supply. A computer I have does something like that, only once you get it "on", it stays on. Once you turn it off though, you sometimes gotta unplug it from the wall. When you initially plug it in, it will run about a half second and then cut off if the power button is not held (it is supposed to come on after a power failure). This one works fairly well and is an older Compaq, so I'm leaving it as is. Like I was saying, try your machine with another power supply. I think that's the problem in and of itself (so I was told anyway!). ...or at least that's where I'd start--the power supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.