Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been having trouble running Starcraft on this computer. It's an older computer, but until last week, it was running Starcraft fine. I also noticed that the computer itself has slowed down whenever my screen saver comes up or I try to play a movie. I was checking my device manager and noticed the ! beside my display adapter.

It's a NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT.

The message that comes up in the status box is:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I recently installed a Wireless Router Reciever on this computer and it started running slowly. About a week later, the power flicked off and on due to a thunderstorm, then this computer started running normally again. The other day, my brother kicked the power bar off which has the cable modem, and the router hooked up on it. Then it started slowing down again.

Running XP with 700mHz processor and 320mb RAM. (don't mock me :sad: )

Any ideas?

·
Registered
344 Posts
The yellow Exclamation mark beside the Device means the computer can not properly communicate with the Device, probably caused by an improperly installed display driver.

The easiest solution would be to restart the computer into safe mode, and re-install it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reinstall the display adapter?

I'm not entirely sure if I have the drivers for it. This computer came with Windows ME, but after it crashed, we upgraded to XP. But do you think that this problem is the reason for the slowdown?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ummm, didn't work. I tried running the driver installer in safe mode and it told me I don't have any hardware to match the drivers and closed.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
BlAcK_TuRtLe, you are having a conflict between two devices.
Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller does not get an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupt Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device, or reassign ports. Open the Device Manager, what devices have the yellow ! beside them? Im betting its the video card and the wireless ethernet adapter you installed to use the Wireless Router Reciever.

The link quizme1220 gave you seem to be the correct drivers for your video card. Remove the device via Device Manager, reboot and reinstall the drivers.
If you have a modem or other adapter cards you are not using anymore take them out. Also try moving the video card to another slot (if its pci), the system may reassign it.
Try resetting the BIOS to default settings also.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
also
I recently installed a Wireless Router Reciever on this computer and it started running slowly. About a week later, the power flicked off and on due to a thunderstorm, then this computer started running normally again. The other day, my brother kicked the power bar off which has the cable modem, and the router hooked up on it. Then it started slowing down again
if geek girl's suggestion doesnt help, [ which i am sure it will :smooch: ]disconnect your ethernet connection and see if the conflict vanishes and your performance increases.
post back

·
Registered
796 Posts
hmmmm...

Have you recently installed Norton's Internet Security? I know that those suites sometimes come with the router. NIS will definately slow the computer down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried disabling it then installing the drivers and it gave me the same message. The only device with the ! beside it was the video card. I took apart my computer and took out the old Ethernet card we used for directly connecting to the cable internet and the old 56K modem and removed/put back the video card and it seems to be working alot better.

About the RAM, I have been planning on getting a 256er, just never getting around to it. Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.