Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run multiple virus and spyware/malware, pest scans etc... And I am sure those are not the reason. The laptop is running so slowly that it is almost impossible to run even the smallest programs. In the past I have had a problem with svchost using 99 percent of my CPU so this could be the reason (I have checked the task manager and there are 10+ svchost's running).
I have heard that windows update can sometime cause slowdown problems? But I don't belive thats the issue either.
any advise as to what the problem may be, or how it might be solved will be most apprichiated.

Things to note:
I have multiple anti virus programs running together (kaspersky, windows defender, counterspy, AVG).

The slowdown began just recently and occours on startup (despite their only being about 3 programs supposedly assigned to start on startup).

Many thanks

· Registered
9 Posts
hi,

im not too sure if this helps but you can goto run-> and type msconfig and from there u can adjust ur start up services. i dont know THAT much about it but i think u have to be careful about anything u disable.

i also have a lot of svchost's running but i think thats normal, im not sure u should disable them from ur start up.

otherwise im all out of ideas! disk clean up maybe?!

hope this helps
darren

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply but i'm pretty sure thats not the problem. Thanks for the startup tip though, i few cheecky programs that i thought had been deleted were still lurking there.

· Registered
9 Posts
yeah i had to root out a few weeds there too a couple of times!

hope you solve ur problem, il post back with any brainwaves, although my brain is a bit numb atm so i cant promise anything....

darren

· Awesom-O 4000
1,252 Posts
If it froze during a chack disk it is likely your hard drive is failing.
Most bios' have a program to test the hard drive
Go t BIOS and then press enter on your hard drive and select "smart support" then run the "extended smart test"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.