Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Our household recently signed up for ADSL service. We went out and bought our router modem today, but came home and we had trouble with it.

I expected to be able to basically use the modem straight "out of the box", and connect up to the net after a little bit of fiddling around. But i have a problem that wont let me get passed even step 1. What happens is, when you plug the effernet cable into the PC (with the modem attached on the other end), the computer restarts itself instantly after about 3 seconds. When the computer loads up again, if the cable is still attached then it'll restart itself again before it can load windows fully. It wont stop restarting itself until you take the cable out.

- It's a D-Link wireless ADSL Router, model DSL-G604T.
- Network Card is SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
- Windows XP, professional
- Pentium 4, 3.2 ghz... (bought the computer recently)

It's really quite strange. I don't know whether it's a problem with the power, or software, i don't know. I tried downloading the latest driver for the network card but that didn't change anything.

Please help. :)

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Is the modem a dsl modem? You are not confusing the router with the
modem are you? Any type of lingering dial up modem drivers on your system.
Or cable? Are the filters in place for proper dsl connectivety? In device
manager are there any flags next to your ethernet card/onboard?

·
Global Moderator
51,340 Posts
Well, this is clearly an issue with the computer, because you shouldn't be able to do anything at the other end of that cable to make the computer spontaneously reboot. Could you have an electrical supply grounding issue between the power to the router and the machine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, could be. Electronics isn't my forte though. Does anybody have any ideas? :4-dontkno

Everything is new, it should bloody work!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woops, forgot to answer Manic.
manic said:
Is the modem a dsl modem? You are not confusing the router with the
modem are you?
Yeah it's a dsl modem. I don't think i'm confusing the 2... i'm pretty this device is a modem and router rolled into one. Do those exist?
manic said:
Any type of lingering dial up modem drivers on your system. Or cable?
Well, the computer is about a week or 2 old. So i don't think so.
Are the filters in place for proper dsl connectivety?
Well, i haven't even been able to check if there is no connectivity or not because when i plug the modem in it restarts, so i don't get anywhere.
In device manager are there any flags next to your ethernet card/onboard?
Nopes.

Hmm, i'm baffled on this one. :sad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed!

I went into BIOS and disabled 2 settings called ModemRingOn and PME Wake Up Event. I don't know they were enabled, but they aren't anymore so my problemo is resolved-e-o. :grin:

Sorry for my triple post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.