Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear TSF,

I have read a number of threads on this topic but would like to add my unique situation for review. I first had a shutdown/restart problem about a year ago while editing photos in PowerPoint. Though I suspected hardware was the source of the problem, I did a PowerPoint clean and re-install based on suggestions from Microsoft support and that fixed the issue for a few months. Recently the problem has come back and increased in frequency, while doing video editing in Adobe Premiere Elements 12 or again while working in PowerPoint. I have been monitoring my system with CAM to try to pinpoint any abnormalities prior to shutdowns, but everything has appeared fairly normal. After the problem occurred this morning, though, I noticed all of my CPU cores had spiked to near 100% load with temperatures around 55 C, versus less than 5% and less than 40 C normally. Inexplicably in the last half hour CPU loads and temperatures returned to normal. I attached a CAM screenshot that shows the behavior as well as other pertinent system info. One other abnormality I noticed is the Temperature4 in the Mother Board, which has been elevated for at least the last week.

My PSU is the Seasonic SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze, which appears to be in line with your "Power Desktop Computer Class" PSU's, which is about the level of video editing I am doing. So am I looking at a potential Mother Board problem? I look forward to your suggestion.

Here is more detailed system information:

Built: June 2014
Model : ASUS All Series ASUS MB
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)
Intel vPro : 9.01.01.1000
Total Memory : 16GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (4C 8T 4.4GHz, 4GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1150

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS Core (Haswell) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 8GB DIMM DDR3 1.33GHz 128-bit

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-14200U DDR3-1778 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)
Memory Module : Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-14200U DDR3-1778 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : ACR Acer H236HL
(1920x1080, 23.1")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (5CU 640SP SM5.0 1.07GHz/1.35GHz, 2MB L2, 2GB 5.4GHz 128-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (640SP 5C 1.07GHz/1.35GHz, 2MB L2, 2GB 5.4GHz 128-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (640SP 5C 1.07GHz/1.35GHz, 2MB L2, 2GB 5.4GHz 128-bit)
CUDA GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (640SP 5C 1.07GHz/1.35GHz, 2MB L2, 2GB 5.4GHz 128-bit)

Storage Devices
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (250GB, SATA600, SSD) : 233GB (C:)
WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0 (750.2GB, SATA300, 2.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 699GB (E:)
ASUS DRW-24F1ST b (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 350MB (NTFS)
Storage (E:) : 698GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0 (750.2GB, SATA300, 2.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Hard Disk (C:) : 233GB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (250GB, SATA600, SSD)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ ASUS DRW-24F1ST b (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Platform Compliance : x64

Attachments

·
TSF Enthusuast
110 Posts
Hello,

How does the computer behave under load? Either gaming or stress test?

I recommend trying Prime95 Blend test.

If that does nothing, please download OCCT and run a PSU test for 1h.
Although very basic, it may give us a clue.

Have you done any testing?
Like Memtest86+?
Are there any BSODs when the PC restarts?

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi there,

Go to the "EventViewer" and check for any errors listed. If there are any error/s, please post the error/s here.

Hope everything works out well for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No BSODs with this issue. I haven't stress tested it or done any other tests, and don't use it for gaming. I do use it for HD (not 4k) video editing in Premiere Elements, and that has been where it has been shutting down most often recently.

For some more background on this instance, the shutdown without warning occured at 6:46AM, it automatically rebooted at 6:48, and then I shut it down through the start menu at 6:54 when I noticed the CPU loads and temps spiking. I turned it back on at 7:07. There appear to be critical errors every time the shutdown happens, and sometimes when it doesn't:

Event 41, Kernel-Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This happened once at the time of the shutdown/reboot (6:48), and then againwhen I turned the computer back on (7:07) after manually shutting down.

There were other errors:

Event 0, TrueKey (occurred during both reboots): Failed to process session change. System.ArgumentException: Data Source cannot be empty. Use :memory: to open an in-memory database
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Open()
at McAfee.YAP.Service.Data.McBioSQLite.GetConnection()
at McAfee.YAP.Service.Data.McBioSQLite.StoreInServiceInfo(String key, String value)
at McAfee.YAP.Service.Common.McBioBCAService.DisableSpoofingMode()
at McAfee.YAP.Service.Service.OnSessionChange(SessionChangeDescription changeDescription)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.DeferredSessionChange(Int32 eventType, Int32 sessionId)

Event 1023, Perflib (this occurred during reboot after the shutdown without warning, 6:48): Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL rdyboost. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the Windows error code.

Event 6008, EventLog (this triggered on both the reboot without warning and after I started the computer after properly shutting down): The previous system shutdown at 6:46:46 AM on ‎8/‎18/‎2017 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 6:54:09 AM on ‎8/‎18/‎2017 was unexpected.

Event 10016, DistributedCOM (occurred twice after both reboots this morning and other times): The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

There were other errors (29 Kernel-Boot, 69 AppModel-Runtime, 100 Bonjour Service) but these happened either after or more than 20 minutes before the shutdown. If you would like those details, or any others with regard to the above I can send.

With these in mind does it make sense to go ahead with Prime95, OCCT, Memtest86+ etc.?

Thanks for your quick response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the results from my test (I ran it just over 20 minutes to be sure):

Torture Test completed 6 tests in 21 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

I attached the CAM image covering the period of the test. CPU temps were in mid 60's for most of it but jumped to close to 80 C at around 15 minutes. MotherBoard area 4 tracked the CPU temps for the most part, so I assume that is an area close to the CPU.

Any thoughts on the results and what steps I should take to continue troubleshooting?

Thanks

Attachments

·
TSF Enthusuast
110 Posts
You stress tested the system and the temps spiked. That's okay. Take into account that it's summer, so...

Try OCCT's PSU test for an hour. If it doesn't reboot until then, stop the test.
If it throws an error, try using Unigine Superposition benchmark instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I just managed to free up an hour to do the test, but it's stopping at 1 second - no error, just not proceeding with the test (attached the screen). I've tried several times, restarted and tried etc. but haven't been able to get the test to run. Maybe it's an issue with the latest version but their forum is down so I haven't been able to ask. Any ideas? Should I proceed with the Unigine Superposition benchmark or try to figure out the OCCT first?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried a couple other things with OCCT. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with DirectX (the first time I unchecked the DirectX install). Same issue with Infinite test. I tried with Automatic instead of Infinite - in that case it gets to 59s and then stops, saying "User Cancelled". I tried selecting DirectX 9, but it reports a missing file at 59s. My DirectX version is 12, so I wonder if this is part of the problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear TSF,

It has been a few weeks but I just had a shutdown now, while editing photos in PowerPoint. Nothing odd in CPU temps/load, GPU load, RAM usage, etc. according to CAM App. Event Viewer indicates the following errors either before or after the crash upon restart: 41 Kernel-Power (critical), 0 TrueKey, 37 AppModel-Runtime, 1023 Perflib, 6008 EventLog, 7000 Service Control Manager, 10016 DistributedCOM

Any further advice on the OCCT issue I experienced? I need to make time to have another try at it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I haven't been able to get OCCT going I ran Unigine Superposition Benchmark and got the attached results. The number is close to the worst of the published online results, but probably in line with similar video cards and system spec's. The test stressed my video card much more than when I am working in PowerPoint or the video editor, so maybe we can rule out the video card as the source of the problem.

I am still leaning toward power supply, as I am reading that that is often the first component of a computer to deteriorate and stop functioning optimally. Does anyone recommend using a physical power supply tester to test it?

Aside from the above, I have disabled the automatic shutdown feature in Windows so that the next time a crash occurs I should get some more info via an error message or BSoD. If people would recommend against this please let me know.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Attachments

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,102 Posts
The auto shut down feature would only apply to a Windows crash not a hardware crash.

Your CPU temps are a tad higher then I would like to see but the CPU should be self throttling down if that was the issue and it does not appear to be slowing so I doubt CPU heat is the problem.

The PSU voltages appear ok but a PSU has over/under voltage and current protection circuits that can shut it down suddenly if they detect a problem real or miss-read.

Any chance you can borrow a PSU to test with before buying one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The auto shut down feature would only apply to a Windows crash not a hardware crash.

Your CPU temps are a tad higher then I would like to see but the CPU should be self throttling down if that was the issue and it does not appear to be slowing so I doubt CPU heat is the problem.

The PSU voltages appear ok but a PSU has over/under voltage and current protection circuits that can shut it down suddenly if they detect a problem real or miss-read.

Any chance you can borrow a PSU to test with before buying one?
Wrench97, thank you for your reply. Yes the CPU got up to the 80s C during the Prime95 test with no shutdown.

I need to look into borrowing a PSU. Problem is I would need to borrow it for an indefinite period of time as I often go a few days to weeks without a shutdown. Any hardware or software methods of testing the PSU you can recommend?

I haven't had a shut down since I switched off auto-restart, so the next time something happens, that should tell us more about whether it is a hardware problem (it restarts) or not (I get a BSoD or error and freeze).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is not a good software test for a PSU that I have found, there are some that claim to stress them but looking at the data I see little to show the individual voltage rails being stressed.
OK, and no hardware PSU tester that might be informative?

I took a look at the TSF recommended Power Supply Calculator and got a recommended PSU wattage of 590W. I didn't see the capacitor aging feature - is that already built into that number? If not the TSF recommended wattage of 30% higher than the calculator output would be 767W, meaning an 850+, much higher than my 620 Bronze. I attached the inputs and result for your review.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.

Attachments

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,102 Posts
I don't see you needing any bigger than a 650w, Nvidias' requirement for the 750Ti is 350w.

Brand and quality are the biggest factors Seasonic being one of the better brands making all their own PSUs. Other brands use multiple manufactures each one producing a different model making it difficult to recommend by brand alone when one model is good and the next not so hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see you needing any bigger than a 650w, Nvidias' requirement for the 750Ti is 350w.

Brand and quality are the biggest factors Seasonic being one of the better brands making all their own PSUs. Other brands use multiple manufactures each one producing a different model making it difficult to recommend by brand alone when one model is good and the next not so hot.
OK, I guess we will see what happens next time it crashes, and hopefully be able to narrow down whether it is a software or hardware issue. Thanks for the input and advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Dear TSF,

The issue is back. I have isolated exactly when it happens, at least in one instance, as it just happened three times in a row doing the same thing in Adobe Premiere Elements 15. I was just scrolling through an imported video in the edit window when it happened. I have been working several hours per day on picture slide videos without issue but this happened as soon as I tried to add a regular video to my picture video. Perhaps the program strain is coming from the fact that the video I imported is 30 frames per second while the video I am working on is 60fps, but I am not seeing any heat or other anomalies in my CAM monitoring software. Also it is shutting down despite my having disabled the automatic shutdown on system failure feature in Windows, so does this mean it is most likely a hardware problem?

I am going to check with Adobe support, look into updating my BIOS per this article (https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c03413399), and start considering a full system re-install, but if anyone here has any ideas would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.