Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm currently doing an internship in a Town Hall in the IT department and we are having computers that reboots themselves over random behavior. I tried to look in the event logs, disabled the "Reboot automatically on system failure" option, Power management, nothing seems to be working or be the cause of this problem that i can think of. If someone has an idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

Computer is an OptiPlex 755 with 2 GB of ram and a dual-core 3 GHz,a an ATI RADEON HD2400 graphics card.

Also, those computers are installed with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.5

Thanks

Also, if you could note that this is NOT school homework, im not in a school environment, I'm in a WORK environment, it's a user problem in the office.

·
Registered
629 Posts
... Virus?

You know, a Firewall only protects you against medium viruses, and newbie hackers. If a real hacker wanted to get into your system and plant a worm, he could do that without your antivius thing discovering it.. It happened to the whole state im living in, a hacker busted into the state's systems, and planted a HUGE virus. Unless you find a better thing to do, whipe the whole computer. However if you hook it back up to the workplace's server, the worm will crawl back into your computer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The problem is, its not ALL computers that are affected by this problem, its ONLY 2 or 3 of our DELL optiplex 755.... If it was a virus, i guess there would be other computers on the network affected by it.

I also tried to run MalwareBytes on a faulty computer, without any virus or infected items detected.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

when there is no error message on the reboot it is usually heat or power

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: someone here at town hall called Symantec, and they replied, "CD-ROM or Sound Card caused problems with symantec endpoint protection 11 and higher" i want to know what are you guys opinion on this fix.

It appears as a temporary solution though, to disable these 2 devices.

For heat, i checked the heat coming out in the front fan, and its cold. I seriously doubt its a heat problem since theyre only being used for office work.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
you still need to open the case and blow out the fans for dust bunnies. Office use or not, they get dust in there and it can cause the computer to restart. You also need to post the voltages, If the voltages are too low, it will reboot your computer. If you have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed, you can right click the gold shield in the system tray and disable protection to see if that improves performance. If so, then uninstall it and download AVG, or Avira.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About the voltages, do you really expect me to stay at the computer with the multimeter for half an hour or more until it reboots? or does the power fluctuates even when its not close to rebooting?

About the dust, i cleaned them, and the amount of dust didnt seem significant enough to cause a reboot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back to work this morning (monday) and i left a faulty computer open all weekend, the Boot time still says friday afternoon when i disabled the cd-rom and audio card at the bios level. ill keep monitoring one to see if its still problematic :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
About the voltages, do you really expect me to stay at the computer with the multimeter for half an hour or more until it reboots?
Only if you're getting paid by the hour.

Some voltmeters have a "record" feature. It will record the maximum, minimun, average and current voltages. I've had power issues at my house the past couple months. In order to speak intelligently to the utility company, I've had a meter plugged into my wall 24/7 for the past several weeks. I've gone through five 9v batterys.

Hope that helps.
Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my question right now is, "Why would some computers do it at the same time?" 5 power supplies being faulty at the same time? i dont know but its awkward, in my opinion

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we disabled the DVD-ROM at the bios level and the reboot stopped. Unfortunately, this doesnt seem as a "good" fix, you know? its a temp fix, at the most...

Were still waiting for DELL to send us a fix i think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.