Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What my computer does I have seen before, but am not sure which is causing the issue. Previously my computer would randomly reboot during games. The first reason was my mobo did not like my memory in dual channel mode. Switching the 2 sticks to different slots worked, this was on Windows XP. I recently upgraded to Vista for DX10. Started getting reboots so I dual booted in XP as well but I get reboots in XP now so I know it isnt a VISTA thing. I am almost positive it is not the memory, but im thinking it could be the Power Supply. I just got this computer in Feb built it myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Spoiler

======================================================
COMP SPECS
======================================================

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
ASUS M2N4-SLI AM2
BFG Tech Geforce 8800 GTX
OCZ 700w powersupply
OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Music

Links are directly to the product I purchased from newegg, Sound card purchased elsewhere
All drivers are up to date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDLE
=================================================

GAME LOAD
=================================================

CASE - COOLER MASTER Centurion
CPU Fan/HeatSink - Gigabyte

I had a fan on the back but it has been burnt out for awhile long before the reboots.

-Spoiler

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
those are IDLE temps the game load seems to be somewhat light

try this:

run a spyware scanner / anti virus scanner / play music files / run hard drive defrag all at the same time for about 15 minutes

after 15 minutes / get the temps and voltages again

I dont think your issue is power related / but probably is heat related

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you could also try gaming with the side cover off your case and a house fan blowing air into the case

if you can game longer than usual without a shutdown ......... then look to improve case air flow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok here is it under more stress.

Antivirus scan, Defragmentation, Streaming Audio, File Download, 2 Games, Photoshop.

Also I know 50 Celsius may seem high to most but my last AMD ran at 66 idle, 70 - 75 under stress and didn't have this issue.

Also here is a log file from NVIDIA's Nvidia Monitor.

Event Log

Forgive me for angelfire my normal host and comcast ironically both were down.

-Spoiler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I unfortunately do not have any floppy drives installed on my comp, I can make a bootable CD but that would defeat the purpose of getting the temps during memtest, unless you meant just memtest results?

-Spoiler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, looks like its prob the memory all though I haven't seen memory go in less then a year. But I also couldn't get a screen shot since it was in dos. Each section of memory it tested had a error, the lowest amount was 24, then into the 50s, then 100s, I think the most I saw was somewhere in the 400s.

Time to go corsair I guess.

-Spoiler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet deal, new memory is here, and have been able to play for hours, longer then I could. I ran memtest86 again and actually got the same amount of errors. Maybe my mobo is just reporting wrong or memtest86 doesnt like mine. Either way im getting another 2GB

-Spoiler

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
??????????? dont know what to say about the memory errors still? have never had that happen to me before >>>>> they either error or they dont: very cut and dry

good luck and keep us posted :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.