Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have this computer here thats running WinME. After the computer is booted, it reboots. I'm not sure whats wrong.It runs scandisk each time the computer is booted because it says the computer recently "improperly shutdown". I was thinking it was the memory because during the memory test at boot, it resets three times before finishing.

-Specs-
700 Mhz Cyrix III Processor
64 MB of Ram (I think)

P

·
0 Posts
I would blame the OS or the HD. If you think there is a memory failure please run a memory test and see if it fails. www.memtest86.com provides a decent tool. After you get the results please post back for further discussion of the matter.

Regards.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can those two programs be ran during boot up? Cause the computer doesnt stay booted long enough for me to do anything

P

·
0 Posts
memtest should work. Sorry about the speedfan advice. Instead open up the case and do a good cleaning of your heatsink and fans. If you have more then 1 stick of ram try using one stick at a time and try to boot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've cleaned the inside of the case and that didn't help any. I think my floppy just died on me (Havent been using it) so I cant run a mem test on boot. I'll swap in a stick of memory from this computer and see if that fixes anything.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
if it happens after your reinstall, you need to evaluate your power supply.
you have a 10 yr old [ ? ] system there, and probably a 10 yr old power supply.
post back

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whosdat said:
greetings
if it happens after your reinstall, you need to evaluate your power supply.
You know what, I think your right. The computer is 8 years old and it could be a failing Power supply. Dunno why I didnt think of that.

I'm going to reinstall ME anyway and see what happends. Theres nothing on it so I wont lose anything.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wiped the drive and installed ME and still had the same problem. So then I was thinking it really was the power supply. So, I swapped in a working power supply from another computer of mine and it still rebooted just seconds after ME was loaded... Maybe I'll add a stick of 128 MB memory and install XP and see if I get the same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.