Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my hp m1270n. I start it up and once it loads windows (its xp) it will stay on for anywhere from a minute to 20 or so and then completely shut off and automatically start up again. If I leave it alone it will just sit there and start up and shut off repeatedly until I shut it off.

I have taken the case off and cleaned everything out with a can of air. I also checked the fans and there are running fine. Any ideas?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Are you sure the CPU fan is running? Is the Heatsink free of dust?
I believe that model used a P4 Presott CPU and they do run to the warm side.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
turn off system restore and run a virus scan, of course turn it back on afterwards.

Continue to press F8 as it boots.
Look for "disable reboot on error".
It should boot till it reaches the error and hopefully a blue screen will appear so you can get the error code.

post the code

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I also believe that model came with a Bestec Power Supply.
A failing PSU would also cause your problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
turn off system restore and run a virus scan, of course turn it back on afterwards.

Continue to press F8 as it boots.
Look for "disable reboot on error".
It should boot till it reaches the error and hopefully a blue screen will appear so you can get the error code.

post the code
I have totally formatted the hd so it shouldnt be a virus. I tried disabling the reboot on error but have not seen a blue screen with an error code, I will keep trying.

I also believe that model came with a Bestec Power Supply.
A failing PSU would also cause your problems.
Any suggestions on how I could test if it is the PSU?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After checking again the setting I changed was "power after ac failure" I set to leave off instead of power on. That was the only thing I could find in the bios that sounded like what you suggested speedster, am I missing something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.